The Plotters was the twenty-eighth novel in the Virgin Missing Adventures series. It featured the First Doctor, Ian Chesterton, Barbra Wright and Vicki Pallister. Like the later video game The Gunpowder Plot, it dealt with Guy Fawkes' 1605 plot against the British Houses of Parliament. However, the two stories depicted the event very differently, to the extent that they were essentially irreconcilable (although this narrative discontinuity is not limited to these two stories).
- "If anyone tries to interrupt this opening of Parliament, there'll be fireworks!"
London, November 1605. The TARDIS materialises at a crucial moment in British history. While Ian and Barbara set off for the Globe Theatre, Vicki accompanies the First Doctor on a mysterious mission to the court of King James.
What connects the King's advisor Robert Cecil with the sinister hooded figure known only as "the Spaniard"? Why is the Doctor so anxious to observe the translation of the Bible? And could there be some dastardly plot brewing in the cellars of the Houses of Parliament?
As a history teacher, Barbara thinks she knows what to expect when she encounters a man called Guy Fawkes. But she is in for a very unpleasant surprise.
to be added
- First Doctor
- Ian Chesterton
- Barbara Wright
- Vicki Pallister
- Guy Fawkes
- King James I
- Sir Robert Cecil
- Robert Hay
- The Doctor comments that he was considered "quite a looker" in his day.
- King James I jokingly threatens to throw Vicki into the Tower of London.
- Before becoming embroiled in the Gunpowder Plot, Ian and Barbara intend to visit the Globe Theatre.
- Vicki is under the mistaken impression that Trafalgar Square existed in 1605. When the Doctor mentioned the Battle of Trafalgar would not be fought until 1805, she assumed that the battle had taken place in Trafalgar Square itself.
- Barbara mentions the Great Fire of London in 1666.
to be added
- Ian mentions several earlier occasions on which the Doctor claimed to have returned Barbara and himself to Earth in the 1960s. (DW: The Reign of Terror, DW: Planet of Giants, DW: The Dalek Invasion of Earth)
- The Doctor refers to the Menoptera (DW: The Web Planet) and the Venusians (MA: Venusian Lullaby).
- Vicki disguises herself as a boy named Victor, as she did in Palestine during the Third Crusade in the 1190s. (DW: The Crusade)
- Vicki must fight off the amorous advances of King James I, as Barbara had to fight off those of the Roman Emperor Nero in July 64. (DW: The Romans)
- The First Doctor and Vicki would meet James I for a second time in 1609, though Vicki failed to recognise him on that occasion in MA: The Empire of Glass.
- The Doctor remarks that the 17th century was not a good place to be a witch, as he'd previously experienced in PDA: The Witch Hunters.
- Considerably later in his personal timeline, the Eleventh Doctor and his companions Amy Pond and Rory Williams would likewise become embroiled in the events surrounding the Gunpowder Plot in November 1605. (VG: The Gunpowder Plot)
- The Plotters takes place after PDA: The Eleventh Tiger
- The Plotters takes place contemporaneously with VG: The Gunpowder Plot
- The Plotters takes place before ST: White Man's Burden