The Outliers was the second story of the fourth series of The Early Adventures, produced by Big Finish Productions. It was written by Simon Guerrier, narrated by Anneke Wills and Frazer Hines and featured the Second Doctor, Polly Wright, Ben Jackson and Jamie McCrimmon.
Publisher's summary Edit
The miners working here are vanishing. And it isn’t long before the time-travellers are suspected of being responsible for the disappearances. But even the authorities haven’t fully realised the scale of the problem.
There’s something else on this world. Something dragging people away. And it won’t stop until it’s taken them all.
to be added
- Polly Wright/Narrator - Anneke Wills
- Jamie McCrimmon/The Doctor - Frazer Hines
- Ben Jackson - Elliot Chapman
- Richard Tipple - Alistair Petrie
- Dr Goro - Debbie Chazen
- Chatura Sharma - Matilda Ziegler
- Asteroids shouldn't have hot cores.
- The ciripedes are not related to the barnacles of Earth, but are an example of parallel evolution.
- Ben has done scuba diving before.
- The Doctor and Jamie get somewhat sea sick.
- Ben and Polly were both born in the 1940s.
- The Doctor, Ben, Polly and Jamie all wear Wellington boots. The Doctor's are a size too small.
- Tipple drinks coffee.
Possible futures Edit
- Jamie sees himself in a castle, and later sees himself on a desert island with a girl, but when recalling the vision, he is cut off before giving her name.
- Polly sees herself and Ben being chased by Cybermen on a beach.
- The Doctor sees people he thought he could never see again, people he didn't want to leave, and who he thought were gone. He theorises that all of them dreampt about things they didn't realise they wanted to see.
- Chatura sees the Doctor, but the man in her vision looks nothing like him.
- The ciripedes can see potential futures based on the thoughts they sense from others.
- This story was recorded at the Moat Studios.
- Jaws served as the basis for this story. (BFX: The Outliers)
- The Doctor uses his Earth Examiner badge (TV: The Power of the Daleks) when Chatura wonders if he's an Adjudicator. (TV: Colony in Space)
- Chatura mentions Vega IV and the Daleks. (AUDIO: Invasion of the Daleks)
- It's possible she meant Vega VI.
- Jamie mentions the fish people. (TV: The Underwater Menace)
- Ben remembers Mondas and 1986. (TV: The Tenth Planet)
- The Doctor and his companions experience visions of possible futures: Ben sees himself at an orphanage somewhere tropical as an old man (TV: Death of the Doctor) and meeting Polly at a hotel room in on New Year's Eve, 1986, (PROSE: Mondas Passing) Polly sees Gatwick Airport, (TV: The Faceless Ones) and the Doctor sees people whom he thought he would never see again. (TV: The War Games)