But the streets are empty, with not a sound to be heard, and no-one to hear it if there was. Because this town is merely an empty stage, waiting for its players to take their parts. They're due to make their entrance any moment now, strangers in a strange land, somewhere in that timeless space known only as The Nightmare Realm.
It's into this strange world of shifting sands that the TARDIS propels the Doctor and Nardole, who think they're in 1950s suburbia until an apparent nuclear attack takes them into far darker territory, with a series of terrifying consequences...
to be added
- Nardole mentions Desperate Housewives.
- The Doctor says that the Daleks once nearly conquered Earth because he was too busy reading Diary of a Wimpy Kid.
- The Doctor wonders if he is in the Land of Fiction or the Celestial Toyroom.
to be added
- The Doctor says that he has the ability to expel radiation. (TV: Smith and Jones)
- The Doctor mentions that Nardole is robotic and mostly made out of spare parts. (TV: The Return of Doctor Mysterio, The Pilot, The Pyramid at the End of the World)
- The Doctor jokes "Hey, who turned out the lights" in reference to it suddenly becoming dark. (TV: Silence in the Library, Forest of the Dead)
- The Doctor used "conjecture" in formulating his theory of what was happening. (TV: Deep Breath, Listen, Time Heist, The Witch's Familiar, Thin Ice)
- This is not the first time the Doctor encountered aliens who used dreamstates to invade reality, such as the Mara in his fifth incarnation, (TV: Kinda) and the Somnifax in the dreams of Howard Lovecraft in his sixth incarnation. (AUDIO: The Lovecraft Invasion) Sarah Jane Smith and her companions similarly fought the Nightmare Man. (TV: The Nightmare Man)
- The Twelfth Doctor's sonic screwdriver incorrectly states that he is in a Western town, in the same way that the Tenth Doctor's sonic screwdriver provides the Tenth Doctor with an incorrect confirmation that he is in a book. (PROSE: The Mystery of the Haunted Cottage)