The Mysterious Planet was a novelisation based on the 1986 television serial The Mysterious Planet.
Publisher's summary Edit
The TARDIS has been taken out of time and the Doctor has been brought before a court of his fellow Time Lords. There the sinister Valeyard accuses the Doctor of breaking Gallifrey's most important law and interfering in the affairs of other planets.
If the Valeyard can prove him guilty, the Doctor must sacrifice his remaining regenerations. To prove his case the Valeyard focuses on an adventure set in the Doctor's past.
Chapter titles Edit
- The Trial Begins
- Barbarian Queen
- The Stoning
- The Reprieve
- Meeting the Immortal
- Captives of Queen Katryca
- The Attack of the Robot
- Hunt for the Doctor
- Tradesman's Entrance
- The Big Bang
- End and Beginning
Deviations from televised story Edit
- Valeyard, like Inquisitor, seems to be a Time Lord title, a Special Prosecutor assigned by the High Council in serious, often political, cases.
- The Doctor informs Peri they are currently two million years or more after her time period, while in the televised version it is not explicitly clear whether the Doctor said "two million" or "two billion."
Writing and publishing notes Edit
- to be added
Additional cover images Edit
to be added
British publication history Edit
- Hardback (November 1987)
- W.H.Allen & Co. Ltd. UK ISBN:0491030967, copies priced £7.95 (UK))
- Paperback (April 1988)
- Target / W.H. Allen & Co. Ltd. One single paperback edition, estimated print run: 22,500, priced £1.99 (UK).
The audio set of four CDs was released in September 2013 as part of The Trial of a Time Lord Vol. 1