Following the recent encounter with the Dæmons, the Doctor is called by Conran to visit the Master in his cell at Aylesbury Grange, UNIT's special detention centre. The Master tries to persuade the Doctor he has reformed, but it is a ploy. The Master escapes his cell using a simple ionic image controlled hologram. The Master believes he has escaped, but runs into the Doctor and UNIT, who are waiting for him. The Doctor has his own ionic image controller. Overmatched again, the Master is returned to his cell.
- The Master says he wishes to have a pipe.
- This dialogue-heavy story sees Roger Delgado's Master trying to convince the Doctor that his (very short) imprisonment has changed him and that he's ready to change his ways, a theme that was to recur throughout the Master and Doctor's encounters.
- The story's title is a pun on the title of Alexandre Dumas' book The Man in the Iron Mask, which was also parodied in the 1996 First Doctor novel The Man in the Velvet Mask.
- The events of the story take place in "England, 1976", according to the opening panel.
Original print details
- DWMS Winter 1991 (7)
- This comic strip is set almost immediately after TV: The Dæmons.
- The Master tries to convince the Doctor he has changed. (TV: The Sea Devils)