The Lights of Skaro was the fourth full cast audio story in The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield audio anthology released in 2014 by Big Finish Productions. It saw the death of Audrey Dudman, Ace's mother, bringing Ace's long and often difficult history with her to a close.
Publisher's summary[edit | edit source]
Bernice Summerfield is on Skaro, and she's very much on her own. The Doctor can't get to her, not this time. All Benny can do is stay alive for as long as possible. And, in a city full of Daleks, that's not going to be very long.
Plot[edit | edit source]
to be added
Cast[edit | edit source]
- The Doctor - Sylvester McCoy
- Bernice Summerfield - Lisa Bowerman
- Ace - Sophie Aldred
- Davros - Terry Molloy
- The Emperor/The Daleks - Nicholas Briggs
- Varna - Amber Revah
- Klinus - Matthew Gravelle
- Foster - Colin MacFarlane
References[edit | edit source]
- Klinus was a Kaled soldier towards the end of the Thousand Year War.
- The Kaleds mastered alchemy.
- When Ace was attending the Time Lord Academy on Gallifrey, she discovered that her mother Audrey Dudman had died of cancer.
- After World War II, the name "Adolf" virtually disappeared not only in Germany but all over Earth due to its association with the Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler.
- The Doctor believes that Ace will either become a renegade Time Lord or Lord President of the High Council of the Time Lords.
- Benny refers to the Thals.
Notes[edit | edit source]
to be added
Continuity[edit | edit source]
- Davros reflects on his creations' betrayal. (TV: Genesis of the Daleks)
- Benny comments that she would rather hug a Slyther than have her nerves fried as it would be quicker and less painful. (TV: The Dalek Invasion of Earth)
- During one of the time jumps, the Daleks experience the destruction of Skaro's sun as a result of the Hand of Omega. (TV: Remembrance of the Daleks)
- Benny compares the Doctor unfavourably to the Star Wars character Yoda. She first researched Yoda on Jaiwan, when she was 21, on the advice of Professor Mariela Ankola. (PROSE: Genius Loci)
- Ace and Benny encounter a Kaled mutant. (TV: The Daleks)
- Benny refers to the fact that her mother Claire Summerfield was exterminated by the Daleks on Beta Caprisis in 2548. (PROSE: Love and War, Set Piece)
- During one of the time jumps, Benny interacts with the Dalek Emperor at the conclusion of the Dalek Civil War. (TV: The Evil of the Daleks)
- Benny refers to the Thousand Year War. (TV: Genesis of the Daleks)
- Klinus refers to the creation of the Daleks. (TV: Genesis of the Daleks; AUDIO: Guilt)
- A Dalek tells Benny about the events surrounding the Doctor's first visit to Skaro during his first incarnation. Having learned of the existence of life on other planets from the Doctor, the Daleks vowed to conquer the universe and master time travel in order to regain their power. (TV: The Daleks)
- Varna refers to the Dals. (TV: The Daleks, AUDIO: Purity, Guilt)
- The Daleks fasten Ace to a wall using a magnetic collar. (TV: The Dalek Invasion of Earth)
- Ace is attending the Time Lord Academy on Gallifrey. (AUDIO: Dominion)
- Ace refers to the mission that the Time Lords sent the Fourth Doctor on to avert the creation of the Daleks. (TV: Genesis of the Daleks, AUDIO: Ascension)
- While musing on her relationship with Klinus, Benny refers to a war where women who were thought to be "collaborating" with the enemy had their hair forcibly removed. The Sixth Doctor, Flip Ramon and Constance Clarke were witnesses to such an act in France, July 1944. (AUDIO: Scorched Earth)
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
The Lights of Skaro was a 1954 novel by David Dodge. It coincidentally used "Skaro" as the name of a fictional Balkan town nearly a decade before the planet Skaro appeared in TV: The Daleks. Furthermore, Škaro is a Croatian surname.
[edit | edit source]