to be added
- Iris wonders if she's in 1950s Kansas or Iowa.
- Iris' Celestial Omnibus had a Maelstrom engine.
- Locations on Mars include Locust City and Coyote's Casino.
- The version of Mars featured in this story resembles that from Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles. The story features several allusions to stories in The Martian Chronicles:
- the Blue Sail Automotive Company is named after the blue sails of Martian sand ships in The Off Season.
- speaking of Martian commerce, Walt mentions suitcases and hot dogs, alluding to The Luggage Store and The Off Season.
- the dating of 1 September 2005 places The Last Martian in the same month as The Martian, which also features a lone child-like Martian struggling to survive on a human-occupied Mars.
- The Celestial Omnibus travels through time winds (TV: Warriors' Gate, PROSE: Verdigris, et al.) in the Maelstrom. (PROSE: Enter Wildthyme, Elementary, My Dear Sheila, et al.)