The Labyrinth of Buda Castle was the second story in the fifth series of The Fourth Doctor Adventures, produced by Big Finish Productions. It was written by Eddie Robson and featured Tom Baker as the Fourth Doctor and Lalla Ward as Romana II.
The Doctor and Romana land in Budapest, intent on enjoying another holiday, but shortly after landing they find themselves too late to save the life of a man who has seemingly been attacked by a vampire. As they learn that this is the latest in a series of violent attacks, it becomes clear that they have stumbled onto something that needs investigating.
Aided by a vampire hunter who is searching for Dracula, they look into the nearby Buda caves, currently being used for storage by the military — and find that the soldiers have problems of their own.
Stalked through the tunnels by a monster, and up against an ancient evil, the race is on to escape alive — and foil the dastardly schemes of the maniacal Zoltán Frid.
to be added
to be added
- The Doctor - Tom Baker
- Romana II - Lalla Ward
- Celia Soames - Kate Bracken
- Zoltán Frid - Mark Bonnar
- Guard-Major Priskin - Peter Barrett
- Ensign Kanta - John Dorney
- Anita Kereki - Anjella Mackintosh
- Miklos Garaber was born in 1949.
- The Doctor tells Celia that he is over 700 years old.
- The Doctor helped Bram Stoker with his research while writing Dracula.
- The Doctor visited the labyrinth in 1942. At the time, it was being used as a military hospital.
- The Doctor used the alias "Dr. John Smith".
- The blood is a gestalt organism. Each person it infects gives it access to their knowledge.
- The Doctor claims that he is from Interpol.
- Frid is immune to bullets and holy water. He drains blood through his fingernails.
- The Doctor has met Daedalus, Pythagoras, Evander and Caligula, who tried to throw him to the lions because he did not like the cut of his trousers.
- Vampires have photosensitivity.
- Radio has been around for 30 years.
- Frid describes the Doctor as "a lunatic in a scarf".
- The blood organism's behaviour and ability is inspired by the 1982 film The Thing.
- This story was recorded on 9 October and 5 November 2013 at The Moat Studios and Audio Sorcery.
- Vlad the Impaler was imprisoned in the labyrinth beneath Buda Castle. During his fifth incarnation, the Doctor encountered Vlad in Ungro-Wallachia in June 1462. (AUDIO: Son of the Dragon)
- The Doctor is found over a body and thought to be the killer. (TV: Earthshock)
- The Doctor tells Celia that he has previously crawled through sewers. (TV: The Talons of Weng-Chiang)
- The Doctor uses his watch for hypnosis. (TV: Revelation of the Daleks)
- Romana still has her sonic screwdriver. (AUDIO: Wave of Destruction; TV: The Horns of Nimon)
- Priskin mentions "patterns that aren't there." (TV: Doctor Who)
- A vampire influences Frid's development via morphic fields. (PROSE: Lucifer Rising)
- The Doctor tells Celia that he has died "occasionally" but has always come back. (TV: The Tenth Planet, The War Games, Planet of the Spiders; COMIC: The Night Walkers)
- Frid glimpses the Doctor's secrets. (TV: Silver Nemesis)
- The Doctor and Romana would later encounter three other vampires, Aukon, Camilla and Zargo, and the King Vampire on a planet in E-Space. (TV: State of Decay)