The Home Guard was the first story of the sixth series of The Early Adventures, produced by Big Finish Productions. It was written by Simon Guerrier, narrated by Anneke Wills and featured the Second Doctor, Jamie McCrimmon, Ben Jackson and Polly Wright. James Dreyfus also features as the Master, returning after his encounter with the First Doctor in The Destination Wars.
Guerrier was inspired by Dominic Sandbrook's history of 1960s Britain, White Heat, and the BBC wartime sitcom, Dad's Army. Originally the story was a pastiche of Dad's Army but Guerrier was dissatisfied with it and rewrote it, incorporating a tone similar to the 1945 film Brief Encounter.
A number of references remain to the sources of inspiration: the cover's Union Flag arrows are identical to those seen in the Dad's Army opening credits, the character of Robert Collins was based on Private Godfrey, and the Doctor also calls Jamie "stupid boy". Additionally, Sandbrook lends his surname to the character Jill Sandbrook. (BFX: The Home Guard)
Publisher's summary Edit
It’s the middle of the Second World War and Ben Jackson has returned to visit his married friends Polly and Jamie in their quiet English village. But they can't quite shake the feeling that something's not right...
to be added
- Polly Wright / Narrator - Anneke Wills
- Jamie McCrimmon / The Doctor - Frazer Hines
- Ben Jackson - Elliot Chapman
- The Master - James Dreyfus
- Jill Sandbrook - Molly Hanson
- Robert Collins - Brian Murphy
to be added
- Elliot Chapman confirmed that this story would be his last in the role of Ben Jackson as he did not wish to play the role in more stories than the original actor Michael Craze.
- This is the fourth audio story to place this TARDIS team in a Second World War setting after Resistance, The Forsaken and The Night Witches, although in the case of The Home Guard, this connection to the conflict is a lot more tenuous.
- The story was released the same day as the other Series 6 instalment, Daughter of the Gods.
- The Doctor mentions the encounter with the Macra. Polly still has short hair. (TV: The Macra Terror)
- The Doctor recalls facing the Master on Destination. He thought the Master was dead. (AUDIO: The Destination Wars)
- The Doctor tries to remind Ben about past adventures, mentioning WOTAN, (TV: The War Machines) the Moon, (TV: The Moonbase) the Macra, who had previously used brainwashing on them, (TV: The Macra Terror) the fish people (TV: The Underwater Menace) and the Yes Men. (AUDIO: The Yes Men)