The Highlanders was a novelisation based on the 1966 television serial The Highlanders.
History books don't always tell the whole story. Certainly there is no record of an episode that occurred when the Scots, led by Bonnie Prince Charlie, were defeated by the English at the Battle of Culloden in 1746...
And the presence at the time of a blue police box on the Scottish moors seems to have escaped the notice of most eye-witnesses....
THE HIGHLANDERS sets the record straight. And while the incidents described may not be of great interest to historians, for Jamie McCrimmon they mark the beginning of a series of extraordinary adventures.
- Where are we?
- The Cottage
- The Captives
- The Handsome Lieutenant
- Polly and Kirsty
- Polly's Prisoner
- The Water Dungeon
- The Doctor's New Clothes
- Aboard the Annabelle
- At the Sea Eagle
- The Little Auld Lady
- A Ducking for Ben
- Where is the Prince?
- The Fight for the Brig
- Algernon Again
- A Return to the Cottage
Deviations from televised story
- The inn; the Sea Eagle is not named within the surviving audio of The Highlanders, though it is mentioned frequently in the novelisation.
- The Sergeant is named as Klegg.
- The Doctor's alias is changed from Doctor von Wer to Doctor von Werner.
- Additional scenes feature the Doctor in drag.
Writing and publishing notes
- Dedication: To Jennifer, Emily and Isabelle. With love.
- The cover for the original Target Books edition features the artwork of Nick Spender.
Additional cover images
British publication history
- W.H.Allen & Co. Ltd. UK
Editions published outside Britain
to be added
to be added