Visiting a temporal technology lecture, Iris is struck by an energy surge that severs her timeline. This splits her into two identical Irises (the Katy Manning Iris), one of which grows younger, the other growing older. The growing-younger Iris slowly regresses through previous incarnations, the growing-older Iris progresses through possible future incarnations.
- Some of the time-displaced refugees end up landing at Texcoco.
- It is revealed that regeneration is a quantum side-effect of being a time-traveller. Because a time traveller is outside of time, there are fewer parallel timeline versions of themselves. Cosmic balance demands that periodically these parallel versions be expressed in the form of regeneration: a biological, physical, quantum, temporal change.
- Possible future Irises are based on Carol Channing, Phyllis Diller, and RuPaul.
- Tom's drag persona is named Eartha Wyndenfire, in reference to the band Earth, Wind, & Fire.
- Tom remembers an adventure where he and Jenny were turned into styrofoam. This mirrors the Star Trek episode By Any Other Name, where humans are transformed into cuboctahedral blocks of a chalk-like substance.
- Zelopan's name in a rough anagram for the Spanish word for cactus (Nopales).
- The Golden Hendecahedron is the 11-sided predecessor to the Dodecahedron. (TV: Meglos)
- References are made to the disastrous research of Allis and Ballis. (AUDIO: The Wormery)
- Tom mentions that they've recently had a Wizard of Oz themed adventure. (AUDIO: The Devil in Ms. Wildthyme)
- Zelophan is a cactus person posing as an Arbolean (similar to the Argolins) and has a reptilian colleague similar to the Foamasi. (TV: The Leisure Hive)
- Zelopan impersonates Iris but reverts to cactus form, similar to Meglos. (TV: Meglos)
- Iris references Macro-matter Fields, obliquely referencing Macro-mat Field Integrators. (TV: The Pirate Planet)
- A member of Sentreal's race is present in the audience. (TV: The Daleks' Master Plan)
- One of Iris's previous selves (Glam Rock Iris) is based on Louise Jameson, with Bowie-esque different colored eyes, one eye made blue by the same type of accident that changed Leela's eye color. This Iris also once lived with the Sisterhood of Karn.
- The Iris with a long white braid, here revealed to be a much older version of the Barbarella Iris, was once mentioned by the Eighth Doctor.
- The puppet Madame was an incarnation of Iris transformed by the mysterious Gamemaster. (TV: The Celestial Toymaker)