The Game of Death is the sixth book in The Darksmith Legacy series.
The hunter becomes the hunted, as the Tenth Doctor tracks the Agent's journey from Paris across the Milky Way towards the Silver Devastation. Where is it heading? What force can destroy the Crystal? Where is the robot Agent, and why did it come here? What is the strange and sinister game is taking place in an elegant house in the Home Counties? Find out by reading the next thrilling adventure in "The Darksmith Legacy".
- The Doctor
- The Agent
- Miss Amelia Birch
- Augustus Korch
- Lenny Sprang
- Horatio Hamililton
- Miss Scarlett Plume
- Professor Doofus
- The story setting, at the Silver Devastation, has been previously referenced as where Professor Yana (aka The Master), was found and also where the Face of Boe came from.
- Thermotronic excitation possibly to explain the day and night control system at Devastation Hall.
- The TARDIS uses extrapolator shielding which helps protect it from the journey following the Darksmiths' craft through the tear in reality and back into local space.
- The TARDIS console’s mallet is used by the Doctor to assist the smooth operation of the craft.
- A reference to lots of running being involved in travelling with the Doctor
- The Doctor mentions the planet Cheem where trees talk.
- The Doctor’s psychic paper is used to confirm the Doctor and Gisella’s invitation to the Game of Death.
- The Doctor, with some trepidation, wears a Tuxedo and black tie for dinner at Devastation Hall. Previous outings for this suit include; when the Cybermen attacked on the parallel Earth, at the demonstration of the Lazarus experiment and when the Titanic nearly destroyed Earth.
- The Doctor wears his glasses to look intelligent while working on the component salvaged from the Darksmith Agent’s head following its destruction.
- The Doctor’s sonic screwdriver is used for a variety of tasks including: cracking a pane of glass, to carry out a biometric scan, to open doors, to highlight a safe passage across the patio at Devastation Hall by detecting ultra violet characters and to remotely activate the environmental controls for the creation of day and night light on the asteroid.
- From the Doctor's massive 'Gallifreyan' coat pockets he produces a bicycle torch.
- A Judoon ship is mentioned as being sent to collect wanted criminals in space.
- Interspersed with the main fiction is;
- TARDIS Data Bank (extra information on 'The Silver Devastation').
- Activity pages x3 (The puzzle solutions give the reader the chance to think like the Doctor!)
- The Story so far, next instalment cover preview and opening preview.
- The Darksmith Legacy's overall story was devised by Justin Richards who contributed four of the ten titles.
- The Darksmith Legacy was certificated to 13, with under 13's needing parental approval.
- This first book in the series was released along with the second before the remaining titles saw a monthly release throughout 2009.
- Each book in the series was priced £4.99 (UK) and featured a foiled cover with illustration by Peter McKinstry.
Interactive Website Content
By visiting the website and participating in the Quest participants can unlock additional content like computer wallpapers to download. The Quest itself features; games - (like finding a specific target in an image, by using the sonic screwdriver as a detector, to hone in (to register 100 on the scale). Once located the 'Target' then provides additional information used in further puzzles involving both words and numbers.
to be added
- The Game of Death takes place after TDL: The Vampire of Paris
- The Game of Death takes place before TDL: The Planet of Oblivion