The Flames of Cadiz was the seventh story of the seventh series in The Companion Chronicles audio range. It was produced by Big Finish Productions. It was written by Marc Platt and featured Ian Chesterton and Susan.
Publisher's summary Edit
But these are dark days in human history. And heretics face certain death...
The Morisco (1) Edit
to be added
The Justice of God (2) Edit
to be added
The Doleful Knight (3) Edit
to be added
The Queen's Pirate (4) Edit
to be added
- In 1962, Barbara went on holiday to Toledo, Spain.
- As a boy, Ian's hero was Sir Francis Drake. He has seen films depicting the Spanish Armada in which Drake was played by Errol Flynn and Queen Elizabeth I was played by Bette Davis and Flora Robson.
- Ian was raised in the Church of England.
- Father Richard finds a thruppenny bit in Ian's possession depicting Queen Elizabeth II, whom he mistakes for Queen Elizabeth I. The coin was minted in 1962.
- In 1963, Ian lived in Fenby Street. His landlady was Mrs Russell, a reference to Ian's voice actor, William Russell.
- The Doctor and Susan once used smoke bombs to escape from the Boxer Rebellion in Peking, China during the late 19th or early 20th century.
- During her travels, Susan has met several kings and queens.
- Cadiz is located 30 leagues from Seville.
- This is the first Companion Chronicle to feature both William Russell and Carole Ann Ford.
- The idea of a story set during the days of the Spanish Armada had previously been suggested by John Crockett alongside several others that became televised historical stories.
- This audio drama was recorded on 11 and 25 June 2012.
- This was one of a handful of four-parters in the Companion Chronicles range, breaking the traditional two-part setup.
- This story was originally released on CD and download. It is now available as a download only.
- The Doctor refers to Susan's time at Coal Hill School in 1963. (TV: An Unearthly Child)
- Ian refers to his encounter with Captain James Cook in 1770. (AUDIO: The Transit of Venus)
- The Doctor wears a panama hat while in Seville. (TV: The Daleks' Master Plan)
- Ian mentions his national service. (PROSE: The Eleventh Tiger, The Time Travellers, The Face of the Enemy; AUDIO: Domain of the Voord)
- During his second and sixth incarnations, the Doctor later returned to Seville in 1985. (TV: The Two Doctors)
- Susan mentions that she and the Doctor once shared fish with the Venerable Bede. (TV: The Talons of Weng-Chiang)
- In 1588, during his fourth incarnation, the Doctor told Sir Robert Harney that he was present for Drake's attack in Cadiz. Several days later, he and Leela witnessed England's battle with the Spanish Armada. (AUDIO: The Devil's Armada)
- The Doctor was playing bowls with Francis Drake in 1588 when he was called away to fight the Spanish Armada. The Doctor let Drake win so that he could join the fight. (PROSE: Birthright)
- During his tenth incarnation, the Doctor would encounter Drake once again in the company of Donna Noble when he was taken out of her own time by Momus who wanted her to help lead Planet 12 of the Ridion Alliance into a new age of enlightenment. The Doctor eventually returned him to his rightful place in Earth's history. (PROSE: The Lonely Computer)
- Two of the Doctor's future incarnations would make a return visit to Seville. (TV: The Two Doctors).