It is the first of two novels Messingham wrote for the EDAs (The Infinity Race was the second).
The Doctor and Sam arrive on Proxima II, one of the earliest planets colonised in humanity's first big push into space. But instead of a brave new world, they find a settlement rife with superstition and unrest.
Posing as investigators from Earth, the Doctor and Sam must track down the force moving through the dark catacombs beneath Proxima City. It seems that the superstitious whisperings of the colonists may be well founded — that the sinister Face-Eater from Proximan mythology has awakened from its long sleep, to drive out all those who would defile its world...
to be added
- Eighth Doctor
- Sam Jones
- Helen Percival
- Ben Fuller
- Joan Betts
- Jake Leary
- The Face-Eater
- de Winter
- Luiz Clark
- Luiz Clark's father
- Luiz Clark's grandmother
- Magda Wolchenka
- Patrice Kemall
- Maeve Rupinder
- Carlos d'Pul
- Karl Herzog
- Brendan Hart
- Sarah Chen
- Steve Horton
- Cheeky Monkey
- Arnold Coors
- Casey Burns
- Casey Burns' mother
- Spanish woman
- Professor Joan Betts wrote The Life and Customs of the Marine Saurians after spending three years investigating the Sea Devil base that was involved in the attack on Sea Base 4 in 2084.
- Global Mining Corporation has records of the Doctor and a female associate who uses several aliases including Jo Grant, Sarah Jane Smith and Ace.
- The female associate is listed as having graduated from Geneva Corporate University in 2124.
- The Doctor rambles as he talks to Jake Leary, mentioning a number of things. "I've seen it all over the galaxy. Werewolves, manitous, shape-shifters, Rutans, robots. Even the Master has been known to give it a whirl. And did I tell you about that time at Crook Marsham? Most memorable."
- When the Doctor is attacked by the Face Eater, he sees: Susan Foreman and Polly Wright laughing, his old diary, a Prydonian headdress, Sam's face, and a Cyberman floating through space.
- Joan Betts is a xenoanthropologist.
- The Rutans gained their shape shifting ability through genetic tampering.
- Mention is made of a Bug Eyed Monster (BEM). This is how UNIT supposedly classifies such things.
- The Proximan natives are rodent creatures that can mimic others.
- The Doctor claims that Mars has two indigenous species, one of them being the Ice Warriors.
- Joan Betts is killed by a Face-Eater.
- The Face-Eater is also known to native Proximans as F'Seeta; it is a shape shifter.
- The New Horizon was the first human large-scale colony transporter and arrived on Proxima 2 in 2128.
- Sam Jones is still a little bit paranoid about nanotech being in her body.
to be added
- The events of TV: Warriors of the Deep are mentioned.
- The Doctor's imprisonment in PROSE: Seeing I is mentioned by the shape shifter.
- There is a flashback sequence to TV: Planet of the Spiders.
- Sam no longer has the nanotech in her body she accquired in PROSE: Beltempest.
- The Doctor tells Leary of the time he met the Hoothi. (PROSE: Love and War)
- The Doctor mentions that the Master once had a go at being a werewolf. (TV: Survival)