The Evil One was the fourth story in the third series of the Fourth Doctor Adventures, produced by Big Finish Productions. It was written by Nicholas Briggs and featured Tom Baker as the Fourth Doctor and Louise Jameson as Leela.
The TARDIS lands in the cargo hold of luxury space cruiser the Moray Rose. The crew and passengers are missing. The agents of Inter-Galaxy Insurance are determined to find out what's happened and the shadowy Interplanetary Police Inspector Efendi is showing a very particular interest.
Caught up in all this, the Doctor and Leela find themselves facing a horde of metal mantis-like aliens. But throughout it all, Leela is haunted by terrible nightmares and the dawning realisation that everything she knows about her life is a lie.
to be added
to be added
- The Doctor - Tom Baker
- Leela - Louise Jameson
- The Master - Geoffrey Beevers
- Calvert - Michael Keating
- Arthley/Salonu Prime - Gareth Armstrong
- The Salonu/Andor/Auto-announcer - Nicholas Briggs
- Using gold as currency fell out of favour in the late 21st century.
- The Doctor considers that "Efendi" is Turkish for "Master".
- This is the first of two consecutive Fourth Doctor audio dramas to feature a Blake's 7 cast member in a major role, as Gareth Thomas played Astaroth Morax in Last of the Colophon.
- This story was recorded on 16 July 2012 at Audio Sorcery, the same day that another Fourth Doctor and Leela story, The Child, was recorded.
- The story was written as a reaction to the death of Leela's father Sole in The Face of Evil, where he is killed at the story's opening with minimal dialogue, after which he is not mentioned again. David Richardson, Louise Jameson and Nicholas Briggs all viewed The Evil One as an opportunity to explore the affect his death had on Leela. (BFX: The Evil One)
- Richardson comissioned a Master story for Series 3 of The Fourth Doctor Adventures. Briggs accepted writing duties, although found his first draft was too similar in plot to The Deadly Assassin. Rewrites shifted the focus on to Leela. (BFX: The Evil One)
- Andor ordered Leela to take the Test of the Horda shortly before she met the Doctor, but her father Sole demanded to take it in her place. This is the first time Leela has spoken of her father with the Doctor. (TV: The Face of Evil)
- When Calvert accuses him and Leela of being pirates, the Doctor jokingly suggests that they will make him walk the plank. The Doctor would later be forced to walk the plank himself by the Captain on Zanak. (TV: The Pirate Planet)
- The Decayed Master poses as the Great Xoanon. (TV: The Face of Evil)
- Both the Master and the Doctor's TARDISes possess symbiotic nuclei. (TV: The Two Doctors)
- While under the Master's control, Leela tries to kill the Doctor with a janis thorn. The Doctor reminds her that he created an antidote to the janis thorn's poison on her planet. (TV: The Face of Evil)
- Leela recalls her previous encounters with the Decayed Master in Derbyshire in 1979 and Oseidon. (AUDIO: Trail of the White Worm / The Oseidon Adventure)
- Leela recalls that her father was very proud of her when she made her first kill. However, he placed his arms around her to comfort her as he knew that she was upset that it marked the end of her childhood. (AUDIO: The Night of 1000 Stars)