- "He plans to destroy the world, next Tuesday."
- "How vulgar," replied the Doctor. "Nobody does anything of importance on a Tuesday."
It's the sweltering summer of 1930, and Londoners are enjoying the heatwave. The Doctor, Romana and K9 plan to take a rest after their recent adventures, but the TARDIS warns them of time pollution in the locality.
What connects the isolated Sussex resort of Nutchurch with the secret society run by the eccentric Percy Closed? Why has millionaire Hepworth Stackhouse dismissed his staff and hired assassin Julia Orlostro? And what is the truth behind the infernal vapour known only as Zodaal?
The Doctor's tribulations as he attempts to answer these questions will excite and enthral discerning readers throughout the land.
to be added
- Fourth Doctor
- Alfred Woodrow
- Felicia Chater
- Harriet Kipps
- Heath Porteous
- Hepworth Stackhouse
- Julia Orlostro
- Percy Closed
- The Doctor visited Peru in 1910, met Hannibal and played bridge with Cleopatra.
- The Doctor mentions that he was present for the eruption of Krakatoa in August 1883.
- 39% is the highest mean efficiency grading achieved by the TARDIS in the last seventeen years.
to be added
- The English Way of Death occurs immediately after: MA: The Romance of Crime
- The English Way of Death occurs before: ST: Return of the Spiders