Fleeing from the rising tide on a distant planet, the Doctor and his friends are attacked by a swarm of what appear to be tiny insects. Wracked by hallucinations, Jamie is transported back to his home in the Highlands, whilst Victoria sees her late father.
The travellers meet the survivors of Elysian Fields, a travelling hospital that offers patients a choice between the Blade of Longing and the Angel of Forgetting. When next the spaceship lands, the TARDIS crew are offered the chance of a lifetime.
For Victoria, the promise of meeting her father again proves too alluring to resist. But what terrible price must she pay, along with anyone else who makes a pact with Elysian Fields?
to be added
- The Doctor plays his recorder.
- Jamie once saw a flock of starlings over a loch.
- Back in Scotland, Jamie was often bitten by midges.
- Jamie had a cousin named Angus.
- Jamie remarks that the robots resemble Cybermats.
- David Bishop has stated that the story is a metaphor for Brexit: "lies and the false promise of a better future... power-hungry charlatans who will say and do anything for their own gain."