The Eleventh Doctor was a special episode of Doctor Who Confidential broadcast to announce the casting of Matt Smith as the Eleventh Doctor. Like One Year On, this special does not feature any particular Doctor Who episode. Instead, it features clips and discussions regarding every past Doctor, which led up to the announcement about the Eleventh.
This was the final episode of Confidential to be made in standard definition.
Aspects of production covered
- Countdown to reveal who is playing the Eleventh Doctor
- A look back at the Doctor's outfit from each of his incarnations
- The Eighth Doctor's romance with Grace Holloway, the Tenth Doctor's with Rose Tyler, and the Tenth's strained relationship with Martha Jones
- The return of Doctor Who in 2005 and the casting of Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant as the Ninth and Tenth Doctors
- Speculation that David Morrissey would become the Eleventh Doctor
- The casting of Matt Smith as the Eleventh Doctor.
- The difficulties of casting a new Doctor.
- The development of each Doctor by writers during their era.
Additional topics covered
- Behind the scenes of filming the TARDIS wardrobe scene in The Christmas Invasion
- The legacy of Doctor Who and the challenges of picking up that legacy as the actor playing the Doctor.
- The "grandfather figure" that the First Doctor portrayed, and the major change of personality during the Second Doctor era
- The Third Doctor being portrayed as the "action hero"
- The eccentricity of the Fourth Doctor
- The youthfulness of the Fifth Doctor
- Doctor Who in the late 1980s, with the Sixth and Seventh Doctors
- The very short tenure of Paul McGann as the Eighth Doctor (on television)
- Jane Tranter, Conroller, BBC Fiction
- David Tennant, The Doctor
- Steven Moffat, Head Writer, Doctor Who Series 5
- Julie Gardner, Head of Drama, BBC Wales
- Russell T Davies, Head Writer, Doctor Who, Series 1-4
- Elisabeth Sladen, Sarah Jane Smith
- Piers Wenger, Executive Producer, Doctor Who Series 5
- Matt Smith, The Eleventh Doctor
- "Never Miss a Beat" by Kaiser Chiefs (Used in the trailer for the episode)
- "Life in Technicolor" by Coldplay, Album: Viva La Vida
- "Spiralling" by Keane, Album: Perfect Symmetry
- "Spaceman" by The Killers, Album: Day And Age (also used in DCOM: Blinded by the Light)
- "Dedicated Follower of Fashion" by The Kinks, Album: The Ultimate Collection (also used in DCOM: Bringing Back the Doctor)
- "Kiss You Off" by Scissor Sisters, Album: Kiss You Off (Single)
- "Walls Come Tumbling Down" by The Style Council, Album: Our Favourite Shop
- "Thnks fr th Mmrs" by Fall out Boy, Album: Infinity on High (also used in DCOM: Do You Remember the First Time?)
The Eleventh Doctor arriving Spring 2010
- Camera - Andy Smith, Richard Stevenson
- Camera Assistant - John Shuker
- Sound - Steve Hoy
- Runner - Claire Riley
- Researcher - Rob Wootton
- Assistant Producer - Ian Hay
- Production Accountant - Kevin Rickwood
- Production Manager - Katy Cartwright
- Production Executive - Stan Matthews
- Editors - James Brailsford, Rob Mansell
- Dubbing Mixer - Mark Ferda
- Executive Producers for Dr Who - Russell T Davies, Julie Gardner, Steven Moffat, Piers Wenger
- Executive Producer - Mark Cossey
- Producer - Zoë Rushton
- Series Producer - Gillane Seaborne
Elements retained in Cut Down
There was no "Cut Down" version of this episode.
Home video releases
As of March 2019 no version of the episode is available commercially.
- THE ELEVENTH DOCTOR - MUSIC LIST. bbc.co.uk (17 February 2009). Retrieved on 22 January 2019.