Doctor Who: The Edge of Time was a virtual reality video game created by the BBC and Maze Theory. It featured the Thirteenth Doctor's voice, given by Jodie Whittaker and the TARDIS, taking the individual Player on an adventure around Space and Time. It featured the Weeping Angels, the Daleks and introduced a brand new monster, the Hydrorks.
As the game was announced in mid-September to be delayed, but with no new launch yet announced, a third opportunity to play the game was made available at a special event at Protein Studios in East London on 27 and 28 September 2019. Attendees had to book a time, though.
Maze Theory, BBC Studios and publisher PlayStack also partnered with Synthesis VR, SpringboardVR, Ctrl V and Vive Arcade to make the game available in more than 100 arcades worldwide, located across the UK, Europe, Asia and North America on 23 November.
Publisher's summary Edit
A new mysterious enemy threatens to tear apart the universe and only you can stop them! Doctor Who: The Edge Of Time lets players embark on an adventure through space and time. Travel across the universe, visit alien locations, pilot the TARDIS and solve the mystery of the controlling force behind...
The Doctor recruits someone to help her against a reality virus. The companion escapes a London laudrette, filled with incubated Hydrorks, using the Doctor's sonic screwdriver she transmatted in the manager's office safe and calls the TARDIS, narrowly escaping a Dalek spaceship which detected the Gallifreyan technology.
The companion then goes collecting three zeiton crystals to help the Doctor use a vortex manipulator to escape the end of time and deal with the reality virus. First, landing in a jungle which is revealed to be only one of over 2,000 environments of the spaceship SS Lucia Minor. Guided by the female voice of Emer, the companion goes to zone 7 to discover the ship abandonned, with hybernating Zlysters. In the cockpit, the companion discover that EMER was the lifesupport AI of the ship which became sentient after Zlysters changed into Tazmas, massacred the passengers and planned to escape the ship and be captured by the Shadow Proclamation to gain attention. Emer and the Companion change the course of the ship, take the Time Crystal from the circuits and get inside the TARDIS after it was transmatted in the cockpit, Emer being downloaded inside the sonic screwdriver.
The Companion and Emer then go to Sir Manfred Grayle's home in late Victorian era London to get the Time Crystal from Magnus Greel's Time cabinet under it while escaping Weeping Angels. It is opened using the trionic lattice hidden in a gramophone.
After the Doctor explains that the First, the original living being in the universe and creator of all other life, is responsible for the reality virus, the companion and Emer take the third and final crystal in the Temple of the First on Metebelis IV, a sentient planet invaded by Bronze Daleks trying to harness the power of the crystal. The companion manages to get through by getting inside and using a Dalek casing. They then use the three crystals to open a stone structure and reveal the TARDIS.
The TARDIS has its interior deleted by the virus and by exiting it the companion arrives in the Inner Temple of the First and meets her. She explains her plan to kill the universe and rebirth its inhabitants better. The Doctor reveals that she lied to the companion: she did not need the crystals and planted them so that the companion could visit the locations so that they were the last to disappear since the First would spy on them. The Doctor met the First to try and failed to make her change her opinion of the universe. She then tells the companion to go to the visited location by thought while the universe is being destroyed to collect three disguised objects which actually are a Time Lord device created to put the First in a time loop.
- The Doctor - Jodie Whittaker
- TBA - Jennifer Saayeng
- TBA - James Goode
- TBA - Adjoa Andoh
- Daleks - Nick Briggs
- TBA - Amy Matthiessen
- TBA - Cosima Wagner
- Creative Director - Marcus Moresby
- Executive Producer - Russell Harding
- Producer - Bob Millington
- Lead Developer - Neil Millstone
- Lead Designer - Joey To
- Enviroment Artist - Victoria Goldsmith
- Narratives Design - Adil Ahmed
- Written by - Gavin Collinson
- Composer - Richard Wilkinson
- Orchestrator - Tristan Noon
- Score Performed by - F.A.M.E.'s Orchestra
- Solo Cello - Deryn Cuilen
- Conductor - Oleg Kondratenko
- Sound Engineer - Saša, Janković
- Protools Engineer - Igor Vasilev
- Stage Manager
- Original Theme Music - Ron Grainer
- Audio Design & Sound Effects
- Art Team
- Graphics - Rémy Auger
- Concept Art - Peter Dobbin
- Visual Effects - Claran Devine
- Production Support
- Executive Producers
- Development Support - Dream Reality Interactive
- Oculus Quest Support - Warp Digital
- QA - Dwayne Clarke
- CEO - Ian Hambleton
- CFO - Nicky Narraine
- Press & Public Relations
- Jnr Product Manager - Quin Wagner-Piggott
- Special Thanks To all those that have supported us through the development of Doctor Who the Edge of Time
- [[In>Theory Panel]]
- Maze Theory Advisors / Board
- Legal - Sheridans
- CEO - Harvey Elliott
- CMO - Harriet Hughes
- Lead Producer - Kiron Ramdewar
- Community Manager - Cameron Mundy
- QA and Localisation Manager - Lindsay Gurr
- Head of User Acquisition - Nasrin Chou
- Outsourced Testing - Lionbridge
- Video Editors
- Head of Art - Alex Flynn
- Graphic Designers
- Lead Producer - David Bradshaw
- Head of Digital Ent & Games - Bradley Crooks
- Creative Producer - Peter Hickman
- Script Editor - Gabby De Matteis
- Doctor Who Brand Team
- Artist Relations - Kate Bush
- Made with unity
- Copyrights are trademark of the British Broadcasting Corporation and are under license
- Licensed by BBC Studios, Limited
- This game is published under license from BBC Studio's. BBC Studios' profits from the game go back to BBC programme-makers to help fund more great programmes
- Doctor Who theme music - Ron Grainer © Warner Chappell
- Coal Hill School had a Summer Fair on Saturday 12 May 2018.
- Hydrorks are vicious amphybians used as guards by the Stenza and Zygons outside Earth system.
- Yaz, Ryan and Graham are on a secret mission for the Doctor.
- SS Lucia Minor is the biggest spaceship of N-Space with 2,000 environment and is financed by assassins from Pulgarius Five.
- Pulgarius Five's currency is the talmar.
- Meteblis IV is "better" than Metebelis III but not as much as Metebelis I or Metebelis II.
- The Dalek Empire goes from Skaro to New Spiridon.
Story notes Edit
to be added
- Main article: The Edge of Time (soundtrack)
The soundtrack is available for purchase. Although the Segun Akinola theme was used, Wilkinson also made a cover of the Doctor Who theme using FAME's orchestra and released it on his YouTube channel.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 https://www.blogtorwho.com/doctor-who-the-edge-of-time-vr-game-to-debut-at-mcm-comic-con-london/
- ↑ https://cultbox.co.uk/news/a-glimpse-of-the-tardis-you-can-pilot-in-doctor-who-vr-game
- ↑ https://cultbox.co.uk/news/doctor-who-the-edge-of-time-special-event
- ↑ https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?article=doctor-who-london-comic-con-2019#_
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 https://www.vrfocus.com/2019/10/oculus-quest-version-of-doctor-who-the-edge-of-time-coming-december/
- ↑ https://www.vrfocus.com/2019/10/an-arcade-version-of-doctor-who-the-edge-of-time-coming-to-vr-locations-on-doctor-who-day/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
- ↑ store page