The Devil's Hoofprints was the second and final story in The Third Doctor Adventures: Volume Eight. It was written by Robert Valentine and featured Tim Treloar as the Third Doctor, Sadie Miller as Sarah Jane Smith and Jon Culshaw as Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart.
Long ago, in Devon in 1855, a mysterious event occurred. Overnight, during a terrible blizzard, thousands of hoofprints appeared in the snow. The tracks led on for miles...and no-one ever identified who or what caused them.
Many years later, the Doctor, Sarah and the Brigadier have come to Devon themselves, to visit a controversial scientific establishment in the wake of a mysterious death and rumours of strange occurrences in the vicinity.
But things are just about to get much, much stranger. Because they’re about to uncover the origins of the Devil’s Hoofprints...but is this one mystery that should have remained unsolved?
to be added
- The Doctor - Tim Treloar
- Sarah Jane Smith - Sadie Miller
- Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart - Jon Culshaw
- Chilton - Barnaby Kay
- Sir Basil Hexworthy - Robert Daws
- Reverend Monty Woolsgrove - Derek Griffiths
- Mrs Plymtree / Olive Plymtree / Technician - Carolyn Seymour
- Icewalker - Nicholas Briggs
- The plot is based on the real-world Devil's Footprints mystery.
- The Doctor claims that Sir Walter Scott is an old friend of his.
- Sir Basil's firearm is a muzzle-loaded, two-groove, double rifle made by Dickson of Edinburgh.
- Reverend Woolsgrove states that the footprints have been found as far north as Coombe Tracey, which was a fictional Dartmoor village in the Sherlock Holmes story, The Hound of the Baskervilles.
- Sarah wears the Second Doctor's fur coat to keep warm in 1855.
- Robert Valentine's inspiration for this story came from the PG Tips 'Unexplained Mysteries of the World' tea card collection entry on the Devil's Hoofprints.
- The Big Finish Productions Short Trip The Devil's Footprints by Penelope Faith is based on the same historical incident, although that story is set in January 1850.