Publisher's summary[edit | edit source]
Visiting the English seaside town of Cromer in the summer of 1932, the Doctor happens upon the strange world of the Cromer Palace of Curios. The young Ernestina Scott is unusually beguiled by one of the museum's exhibits, and when the Doctor befriends her, they unwittingly embark upon a terrifying escapade. Chased by animated dolls through a nightmarish model house, the Doctor realises he is being hunted by a familiar enemy. The unmistakable sound of hornets is in the air, and they are keen to speak to him. Overseeing this game of cat and mouse is the Palace of Curios' curator — a certain Mrs Wibbsey...
Plot[edit | edit source]
to be added
Cast[edit | edit source]
- The Doctor - Tom Baker
- Mike Yates - Richard Franklin
- Mrs Wibbsey - Susan Jameson
- Ernestina - Clare Corbett
- Reverend Small - Christian Rodska
References[edit | edit source]
- Small was in the Far East.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- This story was recorded at Electric Airwaves and Motivation Sound Studios.
- The story title is a reference to the film The Red Shoes.
- This story was later included in The Nest Cottage Chronicles.
- The Doctor trying to pay Wibbsey in Denobian Slime Dollars is reminiscent of his interaction with a shopkeeper in COMIC: Doctor Who and the Iron Legion involving Zaggan pound notes.
Continuity[edit | edit source]
- Yates mentions the business at Devil's End. (TV: The Dæmons)
- The Doctor would later face Peg Dolls in a similar manner, except in an apartment building less than a year after these events, but to him. It would be in another lifetime. (TV: Night Terrors)
- Iris Wildthyme would later use a Denobian Slime Dolar to pay a Parisian waiter in Montmartre. (PROSE: Enter Wildthyme)
- A free download of this story was given away with The Guardian newspaper on 22 February 2011.
Footnotes[edit | edit source]
- The Guardian. Press Reader (22 February 2011). Retrieved on 19 March 2021.
[edit | edit source]