Publisher's summary Edit
Visiting the English seaside town of Cromer in the summer of 1932, the Doctor happens upon the strange world of the Cromer Palace of Curios. The young Ernestina Scott is unusually beguiled by one of the museum's exhibits, and when the Doctor befriends her, they unwittingly embark upon a terrifying escapade. Chased by animated dolls through a nightmarish model house, the Doctor realises he is being hunted by a familiar enemy. The unmistakable sound of hornets is in the air, and they are keen to speak to him. Overseeing this game of cat and mouse is the Palace of Curios' curator — a certain Mrs Wibbsey...
to be added
- The Doctor - Tom Baker
- Mike Yates - Richard Franklin
- Mrs Wibbsey - Susan Jameson
- Ernestina - Clare Corbett
- Reverend Small - Christian Rodska
- Small was in the Far East.
- This story was recorded at Electric Airwaves and Motivation Sound Studios.
- The story title is a reference to the film The Red Shoes.
- This story was later included in The Nest Cottage Chronicles.
- The Doctor trying to pay Wibbsey in Denobian slime dollars is reminiscent of his interaction with a shopkeeper in COMIC: Doctor Who and the Iron Legion involving Zaggan pound notes.