This ten-book series follows the Doctor on his exciting journey to discover the origins of the so-called Eternity Crystal and the powerful artisans who created it - the Darksmiths. The books have interactive elements, readers having the options to go to the tie-in website to add points to a tally of points accumulated so as to access further additional content.
The Darksmith Legacy: The Books
- Apart from the fiction, the books have TARDIS Data Banks containing more information and activity pages designed to tie in with the websites.
- Additionally, the books have cut-out or downloadable coupons entitling readers to an invitation to a party in London, provided they had completed the challenges.
- The first 500 entries providing proof of purchase of any two titles in the series also could receive an exclusive slipcase for the ten-book series.
- Each book ends in a cliffhanger leading on to the opening paragraphs of the next installment of this ongoing storyline.
The Darksmith Legacy Book Covers
The Darksmith Legacy: The Website
The interactive website supporting The Darksmith Legacy encourages readers to;
- Register, and become part of a community, and to score points for the completion of THE QUEST through puzzles and tasks.(Registered users were also included in a draw for an end of series party invite.)
- Complete the Quest - through the completion of the missions additional features (like computer wallpapers) are unlocked.
- Discover more about the books in the series and the authors (profile, trivia, their writing, favourite monster and favourite Doctor).
- Learn from the educational content that appears on the TARDIS DATA BANKS (some of which must be retained in order to complete the Quest).
Additional Website Content
- Readers of the BBC's Doctor Who Adventures magazine were being encouraged to get involved in the Quest through regular previews of each new release and special codes that unlocked additional exclusive wallpapers at the website, darksmithlegacy.com/dwa
- The Darksmith Legacy's overall storyline was devised by Justin Richards who also wrote four of the ten titles.
- Each title in the series was priced £4.99 (UK).
- The Darksmith Legacy was certificated to 13, with under 13's needing parental approval.