The Dalek Gambit was the third and final story of the third series of The New Counter-Measures, and the final story in the Counter-Measures range as a whole, produced by Big Finish Productions. It was written by Roland Moore and featured Simon Williams as Ian Gilmore, Pamela Salem as Rachel Jensen, Karen Gledhill as Allison Williams, Hugh Ross as Toby Kinsella and Carolyn Seymour as Suzanne Clare.
According to the producer, David Richardson, the series' original conclusion was intended to be The Hollow King. However, the story's standalone nature, and fan popularity, resulted in further entries in the series to wrap things up with a better sense of closure.
Following up on the events of The Movellan Manoeuvre, which was released on the same day, The Dalek Gambit serves as the true grand finale and a send-off to the main characters. In celebration, the story pit Counter-Measures against the Daleks, the foe they first fought during their debut appearance in Remembrance of the Daleks.
Soon the team finds itself in the middle of a desperate war between Daleks and Movellans. As casualties mount, the Daleks plan to explode a bomb to wipe out the Movellans. Unfortunately it will also destroy all life on Earth.
Rachel finds herself struggling to diffuse the bomb as the clock ticks down. The stakes are high and this time not everyone will make it out alive...
to be added
- Group Captain Gilmore - Simon Williams
- Rachel Jensen - Pamela Salem
- Allison Williams - Karen Gledhill
- Sir Toby Kinsella - Hugh Ross
- Lady Suzanne Clare - Carolyn Seymour
- Maurice Vallan - Cyril Nri
- The Daleks / Sergeant Tulley - Nicholas Briggs
- Movellans use cobalt bombs.
- The Daleks murder Harlan Jesep, Michelle Dupont, and several other top robotics experts.
- Commander Vallan is of the Fourth Movellan Strategic Fleet.
- According to Vallan, the Dalek-Movellan War has been raging for centuries, but both sides have access to time travel.
- Rachel shuts down the Dalek force field using the Fibonacci sequence.
- Allison salvages a time warp drive.
- Suzanne Clare is aided by Jenkins.
- Rachel knew the only way to leave Counter-Measures was to die.
- Originally, the cover featured Grey Daleks but it was changed to feature Bronze Daleks before release. Both variants have been depicted battling the Movellans on television, in Destiny of the Daleks and The Pilot respectively.
- This story was recorded on 6 June 2019 at the Moat Studios.
- This story was originally released on CD and download.
- From their raid of the Movellan warehouse, Counter-Measures has acquired a sonic lance, Suzanne Clare's portable teleport, dispersal mine, and a Dalek gun. (AUDIO: The Movellan Manoeuvre)
- Ian notes that the Daleks have a different design (TV: Dalek, The Pilot, et al.) to the Daleks Counter-Measures is familiar with. (TV: Remembrance of the Daleks)
- Movellans use guns resembling pink cones. (TV: Destiny of the Daleks)
- EXCLUSIVE – Daleks! Movellans! Counter-Measures! Out now!. Big Finish (April 22nd, 2020). Retrieved on April 23rd, 2020.