The Dalek Contract was the sixth story in the second series of the Fourth Doctor Adventures, produced by Big Finish Productions. It was written by Nicholas Briggs and featured Tom Baker as the Fourth Doctor, Mary Tamm as Romana I and John Leeson as K9.
It featured the return of Cuthbert and Mr Dorrick from AUDIO: The Sands of Life / War Against the Laan. Like the previous two stories that Cuthbert appeared in this story and The Final Phase form a single narrative.
Publisher's summary Edit
These creatures have ravaged half the cosmos. They're experts at this kind of thing. Nothing can stand in their way.
The Doctor and Romana find themselves in the Proxima System, where enigmatic Conglomerate CEO Cuthbert has been conducting his infamous "experiment". An experiment which might accidentally rip the universe apart.
Meanwhile, living conditions on Proxima Major have become harsh and hostile. Climate change has turned the landscape into a freezing wasteland and an alien power has condemned much of the population to life inside internment camps. For those still clinging to their freedom, the struggle for survival is now beyond desperate and outsiders such as the Doctor and Romana are only seen as a threat.
What is Cuthbert really up to in the Proxima System stem, and just how does he expect the dreaded Daleks to fit into his plan?
to be added
- The Doctor - Tom Baker
- Romana - Mary Tamm
- K9/Tollivun - John Leeson
- Cuthbert - David Warner
- Mr Dorrick - Toby Hadoke
- Chidak - Dominic Mafham
- The Daleks / The Dalek Supreme / Pilot - Nicholas Briggs
- Halka - Jane Slavin
- Sterris - John Dorney
- The Doctor bypasses the randomiser in order to materialise the TARDIS in the Proxima System but turns it back on at Romana's insistence.
- The Doctor believes that Proxima Major's orbit has shifted as it is a frozen tundra while the TARDIS information system indicated that the planet should have a tropical climate.
- Romana has heard of the Daleks and tells Chidak and Tollivun that the Doctor has defeated them many times.
- The Doctor uses his sonic screwdriver to interfere with the signals being received by a Dalek and partially disable it.
- The Doctor asks Chidak for some hot chocolate.
- At the time of the Dalek invasion of Proxima Major, Chidak was the Minister of Security. He is the most senior surviving member of the government.
- The people of Proxima Major have no gods.
- Romana tells the Daleks that she and the Doctor do not get along and that she intends to return to Gallifrey at the earliest opportunity.
- The Dalek Supreme is present in the Proxima System.
- The Conglomerate Space Platform is called the Fortune II.
- Romana is subjected to the Daleks' truth assessment.
- This audio story was recorded on 6 February 2012 at Audio Sorcery.
- The sound effect for the Daleks' weapons matches with the sound effect's sound in Genesis of the Daleks.
- The story was originally written to feature Sarah Jane Smith, but was adapted to feature Romana I and K9 Mark II instead following Elisabeth Sladen's death. (BFX: The Dalek Contract)
- Romana refers to the Black Guardian. (TV: The Armageddon Factor)
- Romana refers to Cuthbert's experiment in the Proxima system damaging the Laan. (AUDIO: War Against the Laan)
- Romana mentions that a missile nearly struck the TARDIS in orbit of Atrios. (TV: The Armageddon Factor)
- Cuthbert's popularity has been severely damaged by "the Laan business" due to the efforts of President Sheridan Moorkurk. (AUDIO: The Sands of Life / War Against the Laan)
- The Doctor tells Halka that the Daleks were born during the Thousand Year War on their homeworld Skaro. (TV: The Daleks, Genesis of the Daleks)
- Proxima Major shifted out of its orbit due to Cuthbert's experiments with the Quantum Gateway. (AUDIO: The Final Phase)
- During her second incarnation, Romana would later encounter the Daleks for a second time on Skaro. (TV: Destiny of the Daleks) After leaving the TARDIS and returning to Gallifrey, she was held prisoner by the Daleks for two decades before escaping with the help of the Sixth Doctor. (AUDIO: The Apocalypse Element) Later still, the Daleks invaded the Gallifrey of an alternative timeline while Romana was serving as its Supreme Leader (AUDIO: Arbitration, Extermination).
- The Doctor says that he has known the Daleks to be susceptible to cold. (TV: Planet of the Daleks)