The Council of Nicaea was the seventy-first story in Big Finish's monthly range. It was written by Caroline Symcox and featured Peter Davison as the Fifth Doctor, Nicola Bryant as Peri Brown and Caroline Morris as Erimem.
It unusually, though certainly not without precedent, dealt with Christianity's early history. It was also a particularly strong story for Erimem, who came close to leaving the Fifth Doctor over the morality of preserving the integrity of the timeline. In this conflict, the fact that Erimem came from an even more distant past than the story's setting of 325 AD was of central importance. Unlike most stories featuring an "historical companion", the fact of her origin, both as a former Pharaoh and an ancient Egyptian, fully mattered to the progress of the narrative.
The year is A.D. 325. In the city of Nicaea, the first great Church council, called by the Roman Emperor Constantine, is due to begin. Here, theology, philosophy and politics will be brought together for millennia to come.
But none of them are ready for what greets them in Nicaea. Intrigue within the Imperial Palace has become violence on the streets. Mobs roam the alleyways and blood is spilt in the name of faith. Even in the face of murder and injustice, though, the time travellers must force themselves to stay aloof.
This is history, after all.
Yet what is history to one person is the future to another.
Is it possible for history to be rewritten? And if it can, can the Doctor afford to let it?
to be added
- The Doctor - Peter Davison
- Peri Brown - Nicola Bryant
- Erimem - Caroline Morris
- Emperor Constantine - David Bamber
- Fausta - Claire Carroll
- Arius - Steve Kynman
- Athanasius - Martin Parsons
- Clement - Michael Garland
- Centurion Caius - Seán Carlsen
- Julius - Stephan Bessant
- The Doctor alludes to fixed points in time while warning Erimem against trying to change the end result of Arius' clash with the Council of Nicaea which will decide the future of the Catholic Church.
- Peri was raised Baptist, but does not consider herself to be a religious person.
- This audio drama was recorded on 18 and 19 April 2005 at the Moat Studios.
- This story is set between Planet of Fire and The Caves of Androzani.
- This story was originally released on CD. It is now available as a download only.
- The Doctor previously expressed a desire to visit the Council of Nicaea. (AUDIO: Summer)
- Erimem mentions meeting Cardinal Richelieu in France in 1626. (AUDIO: The Church and the Crown)
- During his eleventh incarnation, the Doctor encountered Constantine once again in 312. (COMIC: Conversion)
- Official The Council of Nicaea page at bigfinish.com
- DisContinuity for The Council of Nicaea at Tetrapyriarbus - The DisContinuity Guide