The Company of Friends was a Big Finish Productions anthological audio release in 2009. It featured the Eighth Doctor with four companions who had never appeared alongside him in audio Doctor Who. Most of these companions were derived from Eighth Doctor stories in print media. Thus, Company contained the first performances of Izzy and Fitz. It also contained the first audio team-up of the Eighth Doctor and Bernice Summerfield (she had previously met him in the novel PROSE: The Dying Days). Finally, it depicted a meeting Big Finish had long teased in their eighth Doctor audio adventures: that of the Eighth Doctor with Mary Shelley. Notably, it was the first Eighth Doctor audio drama to be released in the main range not to feature Charley Pollard.
The stories included were:
- Benny's Story by Lance Parkin
- Fitz's Story by Stephen Cole
- Izzy's Story by Alan Barnes
- Mary's Story by Jonathan Morris
- This audio drama was recorded on 30 and 31 October 2008.
- This is Big Finish's fourth anthology release.
- The anthology pretty equivalently proved the eighth doctor adventure book series to now be considered part of the same continuity As big finishes eighth doctor range (a fact which some felt had been in question because of a line in Zagreus despite subtle references to the book range appearing subsequently)
In 2011, Big Finish launched a new series of audio dramas featuring the Eighth Doctor and Mary Shelley. To coincide with this, Mary's Story was made available as a standalone download.