The Cold Equations was the twelfth and final story of the fifth series in The Companion Chronicles audio range. It was produced by Big Finish Productions. It was written by Simon Guerrier and featured Steven Taylor and Oliver Harper.
Publisher's summary Edit
The borrowed time is elapsing, and they realise they are facing an enemy that cannot be defeated. The cold, hard facts of science.
The Impassable Sky (1) Edit
to be added
The Cold Equations (2) Edit
to be added
- This is Oliver's first trip in the TARDIS.
- Oliver refers to the 1960 film The Time Machine. He initially thought that the TARDIS, like the time machine in the film, would be able to move in time but not space. He was therefore expecting to see Shoreditch in the "time of the dinosaurs" or the 21st century.
- Oliver compares the experience of seeing the future to Dan Dare.
- Oliver learned trigonometry in school.
- Radio waves carry in space.
- Steven retrieves the TARDIS by thinking in 6 dimensional codes, like trying to "catch a ball."
- Periapsis refers to an object's orbit.
- This audio drama was recorded on 13 September 2010 at the Moat Studios.
- In the special features, writer Simon Guerrier cites inspiration for Oliver's character and experience of homosexuality in the 1960s from the 1961 film Victim, about a homosexual man on the run from the law, and the television series Mad Men, which featured a gay character.
- This story is set between The Daleks' Master Plan and The Massacre.
- This story was originally released on CD and download.
- This story is told from Steven and Oliver's perspective.
- Oliver Harper reveals to Steven that he was on the run from the law for engaging in homosexual practices. (AUDIO: The Perpetual Bond)