The Christmas Presence was the fourteenth short story in the Short Trips anthology Short Trips: The Ghosts of Christmas. It was written by Simon Barnard and Paul Morris. It featured the Second Doctor and Jamie McCrimmon.
Chas Baxter, a resident at Lavender House Retirement Home, has received a special gift from Father Christmas every Christmas since he was a baby. One year as a child he even saw Father Christmas and his elf.
One year at the nursing home, Chas doesn't receive his gift. He suspects new resident Malcolm Harbottle of not only stealing his gift but also of being an alien.
When other things go missing at the nursing home, Chas confronts Harbottle in his room. Harbottle attacks Chas, and as Chas lies dying, he sees Father Christmas and the elf — really the Doctor and Jamie — arrive to take Harbottle, who is a Kleptorodon, into custody. Chas dies happy in the knowledge that Father Christmas didn't forget him, and Jamie convinces the Doctor to leave Chas a gift every Christmas.
- Chas' favourite writer is A. K. Cheesewright.
- Gifts left for Chas by "Father Christmas" include a pipe, a pocket watch, a mobile phone, a book, a box of chocolates, nylon tights and a pair of lady's slippers.
- Some of the residents play gin rummy, tiddlywinks and Monopoly. Chas and Malcolm play dominoes.
- The nurse gives Chas a book about the Battle of Jutland.
- Chas' father died at Valenciennes and his mother committed suicide.
- Chas served in World War II on the HMS Audacity.
- Chas' wife was named Irene. She drove an ambulance during the war.
to be added
to be added