The Chaos Pool was the one hundred and nineteenth story in Big Finish's monthly range. It was written by Peter Anghelides and featured Peter Davison as the Fifth Doctor, Ciara Janson as Amy and Lalla Ward as Romana II.
The story is notable for several reasons surrounding its guest stars, including Lalla Ward and David Troughton. This is the only piece of performed Doctor Who where she appears as both Romana II and Astra of Atrios. And, it's also the first time Romana II has an audio encounter with the Fifth Doctor.
The ageless leader of a dying race believes that salvation lies within The Chaos Pool, a place that even the Guardians of Time have been unable to locate. Meanwhile Commander Hectocot and his Teuthoidian followers move in for the kill - again and again and again...
Two different races from opposite ends of time — so how can they co-exist?
In their search for the final segment of the Key to Time, the Fifth Doctor and Amy become caught in the crossfire. As the end of everything approaches, old friends and enemies reveal themselves and the final battle between the forces of Chaos and Order ignites...
to be added
- The Doctor - Peter Davison
- Amy - Ciara Janson
- The Black Guardian - David Troughton
- The White Guardian - Jason Watkins
- Zara - Laura Doddington
- Astra of Atrios / Romana - Lalla Ward
- Captain Pargrave - Ben Jones
- Commander Hectocot - Toby Longworth
- The Voice - Cate Hamer
- Maddenjot - Will Barton
- The Doctor's latest news of Romana was that she was working for the High Council.
- Romana has previously visited Mars.
- This is the first of two Big Finish audio dramas to depict the Fifth Doctor encountering Romana. In audio, she has travelled with the Fourth Doctor as his companion, as well as meeting the Sixth Doctor (The Apocalypse Element), and the Eighth Doctor (Neverland, Zagreus). In 2019, Romana briefly met all of the first eight Doctors, as well as the Tenth Doctor, in Collision Course.
- This is the first appearance of Romana in the main range since the audio story Zagreus in November 2003.
- The official Big Finish page for this release credits Lalla Ward as 'Madam President' to disguise to return of Astra.
- This was the final Fifth Doctor story in the main range not to feature Nyssa until The Burning Prince in September 2012.
- This audio drama was recorded on 22 and 23 April 2008 at The Moat Studios.
- This story is set between Planet of Fire and The Caves of Androzani.
- This story was originally released on CD and download.
- The story of Amy (renamed Abby) and Zara continues in the spin-off series Graceless.
- Romana asks the Doctor if he was "expecting someone else." (TV: The Caves of Androzani)
- Zara refers to the planet Erratoon and the first segment of the Key to Time. During her visit to Erratoon, she was captured and imprisoned with the Seventh Doctor's companion Ace. She also briefly met the Seventh Doctor on that occasion but did not realise his identity. (AUDIO: The Prisoner's Dilemma)
- The Grace's banishment of the Guardians echoes the White Guardian's banishment of the Eternals. (TV: Enlightenment)
- Romana tells the Doctor he can't see the storm that's coming. He'd later hear rumours of a great storm coming to the galaxy. (PROSE: Millennial Rites)
- Official The Chaos Pool page at bigfinish.com
- DisContinuity for The Chaos Pool at Tetrapyriarbus - The DisContinuity Guide