It was the first story in a 2012 multi-Doctor trilogy, beginning with the Fifth Doctor and ending with the Seventh Doctor. It was highly unusual for a performed Fifth Doctor story because it had no regular companion.
Publisher's summary Edit
The Drashani Empire — a galaxy-spanning civilisation, the glory of Rome set among the stars. But for decades now, the Royal Houses of Gadarel and Sorsha have been at war, each claiming the Imperial throne.
The wedding of Prince Kylo and Princess Aliona was meant to change all that — a blessed union between the Houses, a new hope for the Empire. Until Aliona's wedding galley crash-landed on the planet Sharnax — and all contact was lost.
The TARDIS lands aboard the ship carrying the fiery Kylo in search of his lost princess — but with a sabre-toothed monster roaming its corridors, the Doctor soon discovers he's not the only alien presence aboard.
Full audio of part one Edit
Part one Edit
to be added
Part two Edit
to be added
Part three Edit
to be added
Part four Edit
to be added
- The Doctor - Peter Davison
- Shira - Caroline Langrishe
- Prince Kylo - George Rainsford
- Tuvold - Clive Mantle
- Corwyn - Dominic Rowan
- Altus - Derek Hutchinson
- Riga - Caroline Keiff
- Tyron - Tim Treloar
- Princess Aliona - Kirsty Besterman
- The Doctor is only aware of the Drashani Empire through its reputation as a galaxy-spanning civilisation which rivals the Earth Empire. He describes it as "the glory of Rome set amongst the stars."
- The first episode was released as a podcast.
- This is the first Fifth Doctor audio drama released in the main range not to feature Nyssa since The Chaos Pool in March 2009.
- While a few other performed Fifth Doctor stories suggested that he was travelling alone — perhaps most prominently The Gathering — few, save perhaps Cuddlesome, actually involved no regular companions at all.
- This audio drama was recorded on 19 and 20 March 2012.
- Subscribers whose subscriptions included this story also received the audio short story A Room With No View.
- After defeating Omega in the Sector of Forgotten Souls (AUDIO: Omega), the Doctor intends to return to Amsterdam in January 1983 to collect his companions Nyssa and Tegan Jovanka, who are holidaying in the city (TV: Arc of Infinity; AUDIO: The Waters of Amsterdam, The Elite).
- He kept the royal carcanet from Aliona's wedding jewellery, which was given to him by Tuvold, in the TARDIS until that time. (AUDIO: The Acheron Pulse)
- The extermination of the Royal House of Sorsha and Cheni's accession would later become known as the Succession of Blood. Although Tuvold told the Doctor that there were recording devices on Aliona's shuttle, they were unsalvageable and the circumstances of the Succession of Blood remained shrouded in mystery 30 years later. (AUDIO: The Acheron Pulse)
- Before his death, Tuvold made the Doctor promise to protect his daughter Cheni and the Drashani Empire. By the time of his sixth incarnation, the Doctor believed that he had been derelict in his duties and intended to travel to Gadarel Prime shortly after these events. However, the Acheron Pulse threw the TARDIS off course and it materialised on Cawdor, seven parsecs from Gadarel Prime and more than 30 years later than intended. (AUDIO: The Acheron Pulse)
- Official The Burning Prince page at bigfinish.com
- DisContinuity for The Burning Prince at Tetrapyriarbus - The DisContinuity Guide