Publisher's summary[edit | edit source]
A huge metal dome sits by the side of the river Thames, within it is a device that might change the entire future of humanity. The Doctor, Zoe and Jamie embark on a small act of kindness but the TARDIS seems oddly unwilling to help. It's as if it knows the truth. There is something waiting here, something adaptable and cunning, gathering its strength to conquer the stars.
Plot[edit | edit source]
to be added
Characters[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- In 1951, the Festival of Britain is meant to cheer people up after World War II and look to the future.
- The Doctor has various forms of money, including chocolate money.
- Zoe was taken from the city as a child and trained away from her family and friends. Before meeting the Doctor and Jamie, she monitored radio waves and watched the stars.
- The Doctor mentions George VI and George III. When Jamie met him, the Jacobites were fighting George II.
- There are husky dogs at the Festival.
- The radio telescope uses cathode ray tubes, but messages break up in the ionosphere. It's meant to let people bounce radio messages off of the Moon.
- He thinks the TARDIS is trying to hide anachronisms from him.
- Jamie uses a walkie-talkie.
- The Vardan mentions the "ancestral hymn".
- The vanguard admires British propaganda as "Vardan genius".
- The trapped Vardan slowly bleeds out into noise and joins the ancestral hymn.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- This story was recorded on 11 March 2016 at The Moat Studios.
- This story is available as a download only.
Continuity[edit | edit source]
- The Doctor says they haven't been near the south bank of the Thames since 1688. (AUDIO: The Glorious Revolution)
- The Seventh Doctor and Ace later visit the Festival of Britain in an alternate timeline. (PROSE: Timewyrm: Exodus)
- The Doctor mentions being on the Endeavour with Captain Cook. (AUDIO: The Transit of Venus)
- Jamie recalls visiting a museum in the future. (TV: The Dominators)
- The Doctor and Zoe discuss interfering in her history. (TV: The Aztecs)
- The Doctor mentions first encountering the Vardans and defeating them. (AUDIO: The First Wave) This is also the second time he's encountered a Vardan trying to pull itself together. (AUDIO: The Locked Room)
- The Vardan takes over Imogen's body. (PROSE: No Future)
- The Doctor mentions the Wheel. (TV: The Wheel in Space)
- The Doctor explains that Vardans like to join forces with other races. (TV: The Invasion of Time, PROSE: No Future)