Publisher's summary Edit
Annis is an archaeology lecturer at a university. Under fire from friends, students and the police for holding entirely the wrong view of history, the only person who seems to believe her is a mysterious Professor.
The story follows the life of Annis – archaeologist on an unnamed planet trying to build an academic career despite being discriminated "because of who she is" – presumably, a member of an unnamed ethnic minority. As tensions escalate, she tries to prove that her people were not as primitive as official history would like everyone to believe.
- Bernice Summerfield/Annis - Lisa Bowerman
- The Doctor/Professor - David Warner
- Magister Tremaire - Joe Shire
- Magistra Alker - Hussina Raja
- Magister Feris - Simon Ludders
to be added
- David Warner's Unbound version of the Third Doctor was introduced in the Doctor Who Unbound audio series, before moving to The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield audio series.
- The people of the unnamed planet didn't discover space travel and are sceptical of the idea.
- The planet has more than one nation, since some of Annis's people are mentioned to have attempted fleeing persecution across the border.
- While the events of the story seem to unfold in real time, it is later revealed that Bernice was using a device to re-live Annis's experiences nearly a century after her death.
- In the intro Benny describes the planet as being peaceful and prosperous before darker instincts got hold of its' inhabitants. At the time of her and the Doctor's arrival ethnic tensions subsided, with time of Annis's life being seen as a dark page of history.