First to feature a new companion?Edit
I removed a line in the story notes suggesting this was the first story to feature a new companion. Not strictly true, since Ian and Barbara were clearly "new companions" in An Unearthly Child. CzechOut ☎ | ✍ 22:45, 30 July 2008 (UTC)
- This line has crept back into the article, this time in the lead. I've therefore restructured the lead altogether, again eliminating this mistaken notion. What people mean to say, and indeed what the article does now clearly say, is that this was the first story to feature a new, regular cast member. It's a behind-the-scenes first, not a narrative one.
Other things removed from lead include:
- the idea that "this was the first story to open with a prologue not involving the main cast", or words to that effect. This isn't true, because a) the first scene is of the TARDIS materialiasing, so they're implied in the first scene; b) "An Unearthly Child" opens on the scene with the policeman at Totter's Lane and c) that's just not the definition of the word prologue. The first true prologue in DW history is "Mission to the Unknown".
- "It was originally envisaged that Jenny from The Dalek Invasion of Earth should join at the end of that story. However, the actor they envisaged for the part pulled out so the idea was abandoned and a new companion was drafted. Many names were suggested for the new companion such as Valerie, Millie, Tanni and Lukki before Vicki was chosen. Her character was designed to contrast with the responsible figures of Ian and Barbara." This I removed just because it wasn't really all that noteworthy for the lead. That's more noteworthy at the page on Vicki than here. Besides, the story notes include basically include those points.
Uncredited cast Edit
- Sand Beast/Sandy - Tom Sheridan (uncredited)
- Inhabitant of Dido - John Stuart (uncredited)
- Inhabitant of Dido - Colin Hughes (uncredited)
Removing as unsourced: