Some of the differences between novel and TV story.
- The aliens in the novel are called the Aubertides, they're shapeshifters rather than the Family of Blood in the TV story.
- In the novel the character of Timothy's name is Timothy Dean and among other things gains two hearts and a respiratory bypass system (he also gets hanged, something that doesn't happen in the TV story).
- In the novel the Doctor gains his transformation through a ball shaped genetic biopod (this is the thing the Aubertides search for rather than the Doctor), the bippod also gives a different view of the Doctor and the future to Timothy than the TV story does.
- In the novel the military school is called Hulton College School whilst in the TV story it's Farringham School for Boys (Farrington being the name of the town that the novel is set in).
- There are numerous other differences. Bernice spends her time in the village meets, while Martha's a servant in the school.
- There's also the fact that the novel takes place in 1914 while the TV story takes place in 1913. --Tangerineduel 13:59, 27 May 2008 (UTC)
- The TV story does not explicitly state what happens to John Smith (Tenth Doctor) after The Tenth Doctor opens the fob watch, though it is implied that he ceased to exist. In contrast, the novel does explore John Smith (novel)'s existence after The Seventh Doctor's restoration and goes on to demonstrate his eventual fate. It can thus be argued that the two characters are different and separate from one another within the Whoniverse and that both of the stories can exist without contradiction. --Stillnotginger 17:10, February 16, 2010 (UTC)
- Considering The Big Finish anniversary episode "Zagreus" cleared up the confusion over those novels' canonicity, by stating they're an alternate timeline possibility (and forcing Eight to watch that alternate self for a bit) IT's quite possible the events of THIS novel is set in a alternate timeline.– The preceding unsigned comment was added by 220.127.116.11 (talk).
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.