Tales from the Vault was the first story of the sixth series in The Companion Chronicles audio range. It was produced by Big Finish Productions. It was written by Jonathan Morris and featured Steven Taylor, Zoe Heriot, Jo Grant and Romana I.
Publisher's summary Edit
Welcome to the Vault — jokingly known as "the Museum of Terrors" — a high security establishment where UNIT keeps all of its alien artefacts.
New recruit Warrant Officer Charlie Sato is given a guided tour by Captain Ruth Matheson, and the archive reveals some dark secrets. An army jacket, a painting, crystal and a wax cylinder all hold a grave significance, and their stories are told by the Doctor's companions: Steven Taylor, Zoe Heriot, Jo Grant and Romana...
to be added
- Captain Ruth Matheson - Daphne Ashbrook
- Warrant Officer Charlie Sato - Yee Jee Tso
- Steven Taylor - Peter Purves
- Zoe Heriot - Wendy Padbury
- Jo Grant - Katy Manning
- Romana - Mary Tamm
- The Vault is located under the Angel of the North.
- Within the Vault is a hunk of what is thought to be a Sontaran scout ship that crashed at Tunguska province.
- This audio drama features a cast of six actors, more than any other Companion Chronicle release to date.
- This is the second Companion Chronicles release to feature multiple companions from different eras, the first being The Three Companions. There are in fact six companions involved in the story, although only four are heard. This is not an omnibus of stories with linking material, but rather Jo, Romana, Steven and Zoe are worked into the narrative by way of archival recordings.
- The events involving Jo are said to take place "70-odd" years after the death of Tommy Watkins in 1900, placing the Doctor's exile on Earth in the early 1970s. This is consistent with the TV: Mawdryn Undead version of the UNIT dating controversy and the real life broadcasts.
- This audio drama was primarily recorded on 11 November 2010, however according to the interview included on the CD, contributions from some cast members were recorded during sessions for other Companion Chronicles.
- This was Mary Tamm's final appearance in The Companion Chronicles before her death on 24 July 2012.
- Alien artefacts in the Vault include the Terravore, (AUDIO: The Crimes of Thomas Brewster) Krynoid husks, (TV: The Seeds of Doom) plastic daffodils, (TV: Terror of the Autons) a chess set, (TV: The Curse of Fenric) and a grandfather clock. (AUDIO: Mastermind)
- Ruth tells Charlie about the Terravore incursion in the London Underground in 2010. (AUDIO: The Crimes of Thomas Brewster)
- References are made to UNIT's involvement with an incident involving a sea monster appearing in the River Thames (TV: Terror of the Zygons) and the disturbances at the turn of the millennium. (TV: Doctor Who; PROSE: Millennial Rites; AUDIO: The Panda Invasion)
- Jo mentions her encounters with the Axons (TV: The Claws of Axos) and the Sea Devils. (TV: The Sea Devils)
- Private Tommy Watkins was killed in the Battle of Spion Kop in 1900 during the Second Boer War, as was the case with Joan Redfern's husband Oliver. (TV: Human Nature)
- The painting that the Fourth Doctor and Romana was investigating was stolen from the Braxiatel Collection two centuries ago, it could show the viewer's death. (AUDIO: Bernice Summerfield)