The Supreme Dalek was the name given to many Daleks, usually within the Black Dalek ranks, to serve the role of commander. This title could refer to the leader of a specific operation, territory, faction or of the entire Dalek race in the absence of the Dalek Emperor. They comprised the Dalek Supreme Council. (AUDIO: We Are The Daleks) Unconditional obedience to the Supreme Dalek and belief that it would lead the Daleks to victory was one of the six "articles of faith" comprising the Dalek creed. (PROSE: The Dalekreed)
Dalek City Edit
The first known Dalek Supreme resided deep below the Dalek City in the city's incubation level, held in a large nutrient tank. (AUDIO: Return to Skaro) After the Thal-Dalek battle had disabled the Daleks' main power source, (TV: The Daleks) the incubation level was sealed off, suspending the Supreme for decades before it was found by Tryana. Convincing her that it desired peace, the Supreme had her restore power to the Dalek City. When the First Doctor returned to Skaro, the Supreme abandoned the ruse and transferred itself to a black casing so it could lead its resurrected army against the Thals only for the Doctor and his companions to destroy the Dalek force. (AUDIO: Return to Skaro)
22nd century Dalek invasion of Earth Edit
- Main article: Supreme Controller (The Dalek Invasion of Earth)
A Black Dalek known as a Supreme Controller directed the Bedfordshire operation. It had a terrifying pet called the Slyther, which it let roam free around the mines at night, killing those it found. The Supreme Controller's voice was considerably higher than the other Daleks'. A black-and-silver-coloured Dalek referred to as the Saucer Commander was also used during this invasion. (TV: The Dalek Invasion of Earth)
Alternate timeline of the 22nd century Edit
Dalek invasion of Spiridon Edit
Another, a member of the Dalek's Supreme Council, arrived to take command of operations on the planet Spiridon. He exterminated the Dalek Section Leader for its incompetence and ended up stranded after Thals stole his ship, but called for another one. The second Supreme had an eye-stalk that lit up when he was speaking. (TV: Planet of the Daleks)
Circa 4000 Edit
A Black Dalek serving as the Dalek Supreme dispatched a Dalek execution squad to pursue the Doctor through space and time in response to defeating their invasion of Earth, (TV: The Chase) and later led the Great Alliance on the planet Kembel in their plan to destroy Earth. (TV: The Daleks' Master Plan) As it was second-in-command of the Dalek race, the Dalek Supreme was considered irreplaceable by the Dalek Prime. (PROSE: The Mutation of Time)
However, over a thousand years later, when the Dalek Prime had become the Dalek Emperor, there were several Black Daleks, (PROSE: The Evil of the Daleks) in addition to black-domed Daleks serving as lieutenants and guards. (TV: The Evil of the Daleks)
Dalek-Movellan War Edit
The Dalek Supreme was the Supreme Commander of the Daleks during the war with the Movellans. A Dalek lieutenant, a Dalek of a darker shade of grey than the rest, was also of an intermediate rank at that time. (TV: Destiny of the Daleks)
Imperial-Renegade Dalek Civil War Edit
A schism developed between the Daleks led by the Dalek Supreme and those still loyal to their creator Davros. Following the Dalek-Movellan War, the Supreme Dalek was a fully black Dalek, with white bumps and a more hollow voice. He was destroyed when the prison station holding Davros self-destructed, taking the Dalek ship with it. (TV: Resurrection of the Daleks) When Renegade Daleks captured Davros for trial, he tried to convince them he was their master, to which they responded they obeyed only the Supreme Dalek. Davros stated he could make them all Supreme Daleks but they would not release him. (TV: Revelation of the Daleks)
Another Dalek Supreme was the leader of the Renegade Daleks that opposed the Imperial Daleks commanded by Davros, now calling himself the Dalek Emperor. The Dalek Supreme ended up as the last surviving member of the original, Kaled-descended Daleks. The Seventh Doctor convinced it that it had no purpose. At this point, in a state of confusion and distress, it destroyed itself. This variation was also mainly black, but had silver sensor globes, shoulder slats and neck rings, orange dome-lights, and a less-tapered "skirt" section. (TV: Remembrance of the Daleks)
A Supreme Dalek, assisted by a Black Dalek, led the invasion of the New Earth System aboard the Dalek Hive. It planned to collapse the star into a black hole and invade the multiverse to exterminate all impure Daleks. It was significantly larger than other Daleks and possessed an actual eye with veins and a claw-manipulator. It was destroyed by the impure Daleks. (COMIC: Fire and Brimstone)
Time War Edit
New Dalek Empire Edit
- Main article: Supreme Dalek
After the return of Davros and the reestablishment of the Dalek race, a red Supreme Dalek took charge of the New Dalek Empire. Its casing had gold ridges around it, and its spheres were also golden. The Supreme Dalek spoke in a deeper voice similar to that of the Emperor. He was killed by Jack Harkness when he attempted to kill Davros and the Doctor. (TV: The Stolen Earth / Journey's End)
New Dalek Paradigm Edit
- Main article: Supreme Dalek (New Dalek Paradigm)
Three survivors of an encounter with the Doctor, with their heavily-damaged Dalek saucer, located a Progenitor device, capable of restoring the Dalek race, which refused to activate for them due to their "impurity". The Daleks decided to lure the Eleventh Doctor to them by posing as man-made machines in World War II. Gaining the Doctor's "testimony" that they were truly Daleks, the Progenitor finally activated for them, creating a new faction of improved Daleks who considered themselves superior. These Daleks were led by a white Dalek Supreme. Under the Supreme's orders, the old Daleks were destroyed by the new ones. The Supreme Dalek then threatened to destroy the Earth using an Oblivion Continuum. While the Doctor rushed to Earth to disarm the device, the Supreme Dalek and its subordinates departed the era in a time corridor to go on and rebuild the Daleks. (TV: Victory of the Daleks)
A Supreme Dalek oversaw the placement of the Eye of Time in the ruins of Kaalann. However, its plot was foiled by the Eleventh Doctor and Amy, reversing the invasion of Earth and sending the Supreme Dalek and its army back to their own time and space. (GAME: City of the Daleks)
Another Supreme Dalek led the Daleks on their attempted take-overs of the SS Lucy Gray in their efforts to recover their lost Time Axis. The Daleks, including the Supreme Dalek, were destroyed when their ship was sent into the sun. (GAME: Evacuation Earth, Return to Earth)
When the Daleks invaded London in 2106 using a piece of the Eternity Clock, the Supreme Dalek oversaw the operation from the Dalek Command Node. The Doctor and River Song hacked into the Dalek transmat systems and sent the Supreme Dalek to the North Pole. (GAME: The Eternity Clock)
A Supreme Dalek commanded the Daleks from Dalek control on a rebuilt Skaro at the Dalek City. This Supreme ordered the extermination of Missy and Clara Oswald. (TV: The Magician's Apprentice) These Daleks were destroyed by the rejuvenated Daleks that were decaying in the sewers. (TV: The Witch's Familiar)
Behind the scenes Edit
- Similar to Dalek Emperor/Emperor Dalek, the terms "Dalek Supreme" and "Supreme Dalek" are used interchangably across media. Following the initial use of "Supreme Controller" in The Dalek Invasion of Earth, "Dalek Supreme" is used in The Chase, The Daleks' Master Plan, Planet of the Daleks and Asylum of the Daleks, while "Supreme Dalek" is used in Destiny of the Daleks, Resurrection of the Daleks, Revelation of the Daleks, The Stolen Earth/Journey's End, City of the Daleks and The Witch's Familiar. Additionally, in Victory of the Daleks, the leading Dalek identifies itself simply as "the Supreme".
- A Black Dalek, leading the Dalek city, was featured in the Dr. Who film Dr. Who and the Daleks. In the sequel Daleks' Invasion Earth 2150 A.D., the Black Dalek is subordinate to a Gold Dalek, predating the first televised appearance of a Gold Dalek in Day of the Daleks.
- The Dalek Supreme, featured in Planet of the Daleks, was actually part of Terry Nation's private collection and was made up of parts from two props from The Curse of the Daleks play.
- A white Supreme Dalek appeared in two short length BBC sketches featuring Matt Lucas and David Walliams promoting a new comedy, Come Fly With Me. The first sketch featured the Dalek collecting a boarding pass at Heathrow Airport and telling the hostess that it is going to Skaro. The second sketch featured the Dalek leaving the airport, with shopping bags on its plunger arm and being distracted by two attractive air hostesses.
- "The Dalek Tapes", a feature in the Genesis of the Daleks DVD, presented both the Gold Dalek of Day of the Daleks and the golden Dalek Supreme of Planet of the Daleks as members of the Supreme Council.
- A Supreme Dalek appeared in Extermination from the Gallifrey audio series, attacking the Axis. It had a Time War casing with a black dome and black globes.
- Depending on the player's progress, "Supreme Dalek" is a potential rank for the Metaltron to attain in the video game NOTVALID: The Last Dalek.
- Doctor Who The Official Annual 2011's feature on the New Dalek Paradigm makes the claim that there is only ever one Supreme Dalek.