The Strategist Dalek was a blue, specialised Dalek of the New Dalek Paradigm. As with their fellows bar the Eternal Dalek, the sense globes on their base unit were coloured dark silver. The first one was created by the Progenitor in 1941.
The original Strategist, along with the other original four Paradigm Daleks (the white Supreme, yellow Eternal, orange Scientist, and red Drone), were created when the three survivors of an encounter with the Doctor tricked the Eleventh Doctor into allowing them to activate the Progenitor device. The original Strategist's first act was to exterminate two of its predecessors (a painted "Ironside" and its unpainted comrade). It escaped through a time corridor with the others and went on to help rebuild the Daleks. (TV: Victory of the Daleks)
A Chief Strategist, one of a higher rank of Strategist Daleks, was in command of the platoon that attacked Station 7, with several other Strategists, Scientists and Drones under its leadership. It knew of the plans by the SSS agents on Station 7 to use captive Daleks to fight them, and let the humans believe their strategy would work until the last minute. (COMIC: The Only Good Dalek) When the Daleks reintroduced the bronze casing for standard Dalek foot soldiers, a Black Dalek took up a similar role. (COMIC: The Dalek Project)
Several Strategists were present in the Dalek Emperor's flagship when the Daleks invaded Earth with a piece of the Eternity Clock in 2106. River Song was chased by one of the Strategists in a devastated London as she traversed a ruined building. (GAME: The Eternity Clock)
When the Doctor, Amy Pond and Rory Williams were transported to the spaceship of the Dalek Parliament, at least one Strategist was present amongst the Parliament members. By this time, the colour of the Strategist class’ casing had been altered to a much darker, more metallic shade of blue. (TV: Asylum of the Daleks)
Behind the scenes Edit
All five archetypes of the New Dalek Paradigm feature in The Lego Batman Movie, appearing among the inhabitants of the Phantom Zone, alongside many famous villains from a number of fictional franchises. Like the others, they are unleashed upon Gotham City by the supervillain known as "the Joker" at the climax of the film, only to be defeated and sealed back inside the prison dimension. Their one line is the exclamation "Exterminate!", actually a piece of archive audio originally recorded by Nicholas Briggs for The Parting of the Ways.
Other matters Edit
- According to Doctor Who Confidential, the name "Strategist Dalek" was coined by Mark Gatiss as one of the new styles of Daleks. Gatiss also coined the names of the White Supreme, Drone and Scientist Daleks.
- Matt Smith stated in Confidential that the "blue" Dalek was his personal favourite of the five Progenitor Daleks.
- Although the Supreme, Drone and Eternal have appeared in The Pandorica Opens and The Big Bang, the Strategist and Scientist have not.
- The Strategist Dalek appears to have a colour scheme reversed to the original footsoldier Daleks from 1963-1967. Those had silver bodies with blue orbs while the Strategist has a blue body and silver orbs.
- The model for this Dalek was used to create the Stone Dalek in The Big Bang but was restored to normal according to an interview.[which?]
- The Progenitor Emperor Dalek is blue, which may mean that it is a Strategist for the Dalek Empire. (GAME: City of the Daleks)
- According to the non-narrative source Doctor Who The Official Annual 2011, the Strategist Dalek was created with the purpose of acting as a battle planner for Dalek troops.
- New Paradigm Strategist Dalek is one of Dalek enemies used in the Doctor Who: Legacy mobile game.
- In Dalek Hack, the player has the option to turn a Dalek's casing, shaped identically to the bronze Dalek, into any of the five colours of the New Dalek Paradigm.