"They can bewitch at a glance, these ones. Fan fires you did not know burned inside you."
Romana is tired. Tired of justifying herself and her policies to a hostile council. With the line between allies and enemies beginning to blur, she persuades Leela to go with her to the presidential retreat of Davidia, a protected paradise.
Then an anomalous time ship arrives, carrying a single passenger. His hands are crushed, his tongue torn out, his mind destroyed. Is this broken man a victim of some terrible crime or part of a trap now primed and ready to spring? After this strange encounter, Romana and Leela may never be the same again.
to be added
- President Romana - Lalla Ward
- Leela - Louise Jameson
- Inquisitor Prime Darkel - Lynda Bellingham
- Cardinal Braxiatel - Miles Richardson
- Coordinator Narvin - Seán Carlsen
- Commander Hallan - Michael Cuckson
- Melyin - Heather Tracy
- Romana mentions the Great Vampires.
- Leela has spent around 25 years on Gallifrey. The bio-fields have helped to keep her young.
- The "broken man" was transported to Haflon VII in temporary cryogenic suspension.
- Leela and Romana debate on the manner of life's progressions towards natural beauty. Romana argues for natural selection, whereby the best adapted lifeforms and specimens are simply more likely to procreate, while Leela holds that there must be a spirit in nature which designs according to its plan. As Leela summarises their argument, the Time Lords have faith only in their own certainty and breadth of knowledge, while her faith lies in a grander plan, a magic beyond herself, which accounts for nature's perfections.
- Leela and Romana refer to their recent reunion with the Eighth Doctor. (AUDIO: Zagreus)
- Romana tells Leela that a regeneration can be forced using the proper chemicals. (TV: The War Games)
- When Leela and Romana are walking by the sea on Davidia, she is glad that neither of their K9 units are there to get damaged, unlike when Romana was in Brighton with the Fourth Doctor. (TV: The Leisure Hive)