The Doctor and Leela are staying in Barnum's hotel on Broadway. They attend several séances held in the hotel by Kate and Maggie, sisters who claim to be able to commune with spirits. The girls tell Leela that Neeva believes she is listening to the Evil One, claiming the spirits told them. Leela decides to investigate the girls with Mr Greeley. Kate confronts Leela, claiming the Doctor is the Evil One. Leela is convinced the spirits are real and threatens to kill Kate just as the Doctor arrives. The Doctor guesses that the girls learned of Leela's past by eavesdropping in the hotel and reveals that they will confess to being frauds in forty years. Leela is disappointed by such a simplistic answer.
- Mr Greeley is a politician.
to be added
- The Doctor previously attended a séance with Edgar Allan Poe. (PROSE: The True and Indisputable Facts in the Matter of the Ram's Skull)
- Leela has seen the Doctor make invisible creatures visible. (TV: The Face of Evil)
- The Doctor mentions Leela's penchant for janis thorns. (TV: The Face of Evil, The Talons of Weng-Chiang)
- Kate and Maggie mention Neeva, the Evil One, and the Sevateem. (TV: The Face of Evil)