Segun Akinola was the composer for Doctor Who under Chris Chibnall, beginning in 2018 with series 11. Akinola was the second composer for the revived series, after Murray Gold, who had scored Doctor Who for 12 years.
In an September 2018 interview, Akinola said he wanted to honour the 1963 original recordings in his version of the theme. In fact, he sampled the original theme — made by Delia Derbyshire and the BBC Radiophonic Workshop — in his arrangement.
"Our viewpoint across the whole thing was basically that it should be new — but new didn't mean that it had to be the opposite of everything that has come before. [...] I just tried to make it the best it could be."
He cited inspiration from the BBC Radiophonic Workshop in his Doctor Who compositions, in particular their use of "found sounds".
Biography[edit | edit source]
He eventually decided that composing for the screen would allow him the opportunity to pursue both interests, to tell a story with music.
Akinola graduated from the Royal Birmingham Conservatoire with a BA in Composition, and then from the National Film and Television School, with an MA in Composing for Film and Television. In 2017, he was part of BAFTA's Breakthrough Brit programme.
He also scored Dear Mr Shakespeare, a short on racial tensions in Shakespeare's Othello, also directed by Shola Amoo. Most recently, Akinola wrote the score to BBC documentary series The Human Body, Expedition Volcano and Wonders of the Moon.
Credits[edit | edit source]
Music[edit | edit source]
Series 11[edit | edit source]
- The Woman Who Fell to Earth
- The Ghost Monument
- Arachnids in the UK
- The Tsuranga Conundrum
- Demons of the Punjab
- The Witchfinders
- It Takes You Away
- The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos
Video games[edit | edit source]
Series 12[edit | edit source]
- Orphan 55
- Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror
- Fugitive of the Judoon
- Can You Hear Me?
- The Haunting of Villa Diodati
- Ascension of the Cybermen
- The Timeless Children
- Revolution of the Daleks
[edit | edit source]
- Internet Movie Database at the
- Official SoundCloud
- Official website
- Official Bandcamp
- Official Twitter account
- Official Facebook page
Footnotes[edit | edit source]
- Fullerton, Huw (7 October 2018). The new Doctor Who theme tune includes recordings of the 1963 original. Retrieved on 8 October 2018.
- Segun Akinola | Composer. BAFTA. Retrieved on 8 October 2018.
- Martin, Dan (27 June 2018). Who is Segun Akinola? The composer reinventing the Doctor Who theme. The Guardian. Retrieved on 8 October 2018.