ScrapeJane was the second audio story in God Among Us 3.
Publisher's summary[edit | edit source]
A monster that's started killing.
Plot[edit | edit source]
Jeff and Niamh record the first episode of Cardiff Unknown for some time, covering ScrapeJane as "light relief" in the wake of the tsunami. They recite an incantation written by ScrapeJane's creator, Meredith Pope, and she appears, although only visible to Jeff. She tears him apart. Ng and Mr Colchester examine the crime scene and watch Niamh's video of the death.
Ng and Mr Colchester go to Meredith Pope's outdoor shop and ask her about ScrapeJane. She tells them that she made the monster up to get people interested in urban exploring. The two find the 13th century priory under Bute Park, a Weevil nest, where ScrapeJane allegedly lives. They accidentally awake ScrapeJane, who tears the Weevils apart and chases them, visible only to Mr Colchester. Ng knocks him out with her gun and takes him back to the car. There, they are attacked by ScrapeJane again, but this time they can both see her. She disappears when a woman checks to see if they are dogging.
Mr Colchester and Colin tell one another about their days and go to sleep. In the night, Colin wakes Mr Colchester up after seeing ScrapeJane in the flat, but they are saved by Ng, who barges in and banishes her. She sedates Colin and leaves with Mr Colchester, saying that God's presence is behind ScrapeJane. They meet with Meredith and go to the room where she created her, above a burger bar, and tell people on social media that they put ScrapeJane to rest with a ritual. However, her followers do not believe her and Meredith doubts herself, causing ScrapeJane to appear.
Mr Colchester and Ng remain in a chalk circle, safe from ScrapeJane who talks to Ng about her nightmares and how many planets she has seen die. The circle loses power when Meredith stops believing in it and Ng defeats her by smashing the stained-glass window that inspired her and telling a story. She believes that what has happened is because God has stopped believing in herself.
Cast[edit | edit source]
- Ng - Alexandria Riley
- Mr Colchester - Paul Clayton
- Orr - Samantha Béart
- Tyler Steele - Jonny Green
- Colin Colchester-Price - Ramon Tikaram
- Niamh - Abbie Hern
- Jeff - Peter Heenan
- Meredith Pope - Ri Richards
References[edit | edit source]
- Niamh goes to a psychiatric ward after watching Jeff die.
- The Disaster Recovery Committee have locked Torchwood out of the Hub.
- Mr Colchester mentions the Gingham filter. Colin uses it when posting photos of sunsets online.
- Mr Colchester mentions Kenneth Clarke and Arthur C. Clarke.
- Orr says that Tyler was like a contestant on The Apprentice when they first met, but is now more like a contestant on Bake Off.
- Colin has promised Mr Colchester a lentil surprise.
- Mr Colchester mentions M. R. James.
- Ng and Colchester look for ScrapeJane in Bute Park. A woman walking her dog assumes that they are dogging.
- Cardiff Unknown does a piece on ScrapeJane.
- Above the burger bar is a room that was used by the Worshipful Company of Merchant Taverners.
- A teenager called Dicko gives Mr Colchester two dozen salt sachets and straws.
- Mr Colchester mentions when One Direction broke up.
- Mr Colchester calls ScrapeJane a "budget banshee".
Notes[edit | edit source]
- This story is a posthumous release for its author Robin Bell, who passed away from cancer one month prior.
Continuity[edit | edit source]
- Cardiff has been flooded. People think Torchwood caused it. (AUDIO: Eye of the Storm, A Mother's Son)
- Orr tells Tyler that it is true that he saved Mr Colchester. (AUDIO: Future Pain, Hostile Environment)
- The DRC have locked Torchwood out of the hub. (AUDIO: A Mother's Son)
- Someone from the DRC tells Colin that there is a problem with the water pipes. (AUDIO: Hostile Environment, A Mother's Son)
- Mr Colchester says that he will never leave Colin again. (AUDIO: Herald of the Dawn)
- Ng mentions Anwen Williams, calling her her daughter. (AUDIO: Aliens & Sex & Chips & Gravy, etc.)
- Tyler has recovered Orr from their tent. (AUDIO: A Mother's Son)
[edit | edit source]