I gazed up at the smoking hole the bomb had made - and then I realised something was wrong. Benny lay beside me, slack and tangled like a discarded rag doll, unnaturally pale, and unbreathing. She was dead.
The fragile stability of the Dellahan quarantine has been compromised, and something has escaped. Now, a man in the incipient stages of identity-collapse and a dying Bernice Summerfield have to search the byzantine cities of the Proximan Chain for an entity that killed his lover and her friend - an entity that will turn the Chain into its own version of hell.
to be added
- Bernice Summerfield
- Irving Braxiatel
- Stratum Seven Agent
- Chris Cwej/Inspector Forrester
- Kara Delbane
- Absolom Sleed
- An ARVID appears in one of the Background chapters.
- Benny is still suffering from the Mary-Sue mind wipe she had performed.
- Elanore Vita Hydrant Summerfield-Kane might be a descendant of Bernice Summerfield and Jason Kane.
- While the Proximan Chain does not have official security services, SecServ contracts themselves out to the Chain as a form of police.
- Sleed takes over the planet Sharabeth by spreading insidious consumer products throughout the planet. He attempts to do this in the Proximan Chain.
- Like The Mary-Sue Extrusion, this is told primarily in first person. However, throughout this novel are chapters entitled "Background", discussing the Stratum Seven Agent. There are also extracts from Bernice Summerfield's diary.
- An ARVID computer appeared in PROSE: Ship of Fools.
- This is a sequel to PROSE: The Mary-Sue Extrusion.