[[Project Destiny (audio story)|Project: Destiny]].
Project: Destiny was the one hundred and thirty-ninth story in Big Finish's monthly range. It was written by Cavan Scott and Mark Wright and featured Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor, Sophie Aldred as Ace and Philip Olivier as Hex.
It was a direct sequel, leading directly on from June 2009's The Angel of Scutari, the last Seventh Doctor story featuring Ace and Hex. It led directly into the next Seventh Doctor story A Death in the Family.
2004: Despite the best efforts of the time-travelling Doctor, "Cassie" Schofield dies on Dartmoor, a vampirised victim of the sinister organisation called the Forge.
2021: All grown up, and a nurse at St Gart's Hospital, Thomas Hector Schofield, known as "Hex", meets and becomes a companion to that time-travelling Doctor... but remains unaware that his alien friend knew his mother, and watched her die.
to be added
- The Doctor - Sylvester McCoy
- Ace - Sophie Aldred
- Hex - Philip Olivier
- Sir William Abberton - Stephen Chance
- Captain Lysandra Aristedes - Maggie O'Neill
- Sergeant Jarrod - Philip Dinsdale
- Helen/Oracle - Ingrid Oliver
- The Doctor and Hex use a Triscilian matter transportation unit.
- The Doctor's files concerning "Project: Twilight" are listed under "T" in the TARDIS' filing cabinet.
Cultural references to the real world
- Ace refers to Nimrod as "Dracula" and to Lysandra as "Rambo".
- Ace always hated A-ha.
- She's also never seen Dawn of the Dead.
- Nimrod refers to Internal Counter-Intelligence Service (ICIS), a British ultra-nationalistic group which served as a rival organisation to UNIT until it was closed down in 2005 following its involvement in ethnic cleansing and an attempted coup.
- In 2026, the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom is a woman.
- It requires just a drop of family-blood to regenerate Cassandra Schofield's dusty remains into a body, although she is reduced to a fundamentally feral state that barely recognizes Hex as her son.
- The "contagion" aliens exist as a hive mind.
- The Forge archive is reinforced with Dalekanium.
- Ace looks for the TARDIS key in the cubby-hole above the "P" in "Police Box" on the roof of the TARDIS.
- The Seal of Rassilon is displayed above the inner doors of the TARDIS.
- Despite the blurb saying the story takes place in 2025, the year is given as 2026 in a scene in part two of the story.
- According to writers Cavan Scott and Mark Wright, this story was at one point written with Elizabeth Klein as the director of the Forge. This had to be rewritten after the character was brought back to serve as the Doctor's companion in AUDIO: A Thousand Tiny Wings.
- This audio drama was recorded on 26 and 27 April 2010 at The Moat Studios.
- Ingrid Oliver would later play the recurring role of Petronella Osgood in the Doctor Who TV series, debuting in TV: The Day of the Doctor.
- Subscribers whose subscriptions included this story also received the audio short story Lepidoptery for Beginners.
- This story was originally released on CD and download on 13 September 2010.
- The events of AUDIO: Project: Lazarus (to which this story serves as a sequel) are in the past but are in the Doctor's personal future. Nimrod informs the Doctor that he was present at the destruction of the Forge's alpha facility in 2008. The Doctor attempts to prevent Nimrod from telling him too much about his personal future so as not to disrupt the Web of Time.
- The Seal of Rassilon is displayed above the inner doors of the TARDIS as is seen in TV: Doctor Who, confirming that the console room now looks as it did in the TVM.
- The Forge's files on Hex state that he was present during the Charnage Hospital incident in the north of France during World War I in 1917. (AUDIO: No Man's Land)
- Ace mentions that on their previous visit to St. Gart's Brookside Hospital, when the Doctor mentions her fire safety training, that she was the one in Human Resources and he was the caretaker, so there was no need to quote the book at her. (AUDIO: The Harvest)
- UNIT had records of Ace's involvement in this incident. (AUDIO: Signs and Wonders)
- Hex mentions the Daleks killing injured people on Bliss. (AUDIO: Enemy of the Daleks)
- After Nimrod's death, Lysandra was appointed acting director of the Forge. (AUDIO: Black and White)
- Project: Destiny - CD Extras, 2010, CD, Big Finish Productions
- LATEST AND UPCOMING RELEASES - Archived on 21-09-2010
- Official Project: Destiny page at bigfinish.com
- DisContinuity for Project: Destiny at Tetrapyriarbus - The DisContinuity Guide