Professor Bernice Summerfield and the Doomsday Manuscript, or simply The Doomsday Manuscript was the first full length novel published by Big Finish Productions following their production of audio story adaptions of novels from the Virgin New Adventures and Virgin Bernice Summerfield New Adventures ranges.
This novel continued to significantly develop the Braxiatel Collection which was first mentioned in the 1979 Doctor Who television story City of Death, though was not visited until 1994's Theatre of War, a Virgin New Adventures novel. Both Theatre of War and this novel were written by Justin Richards.
The Doomsday Manuscript: The key to finding the Lost Tomb of Rablev. Legend says that if the tomb is ever opened, the world will end.
With the party to celebrate the opening of the Braxiatel Collection and the new year still underway, Benny finds herself drawn into a web of mystery and intrigue that starts with death and gets more serious at every stage. Can she find the second half of the Doomsday Manuscript before it falls into the wrong hands? Can she trust her partner in the quest? What will she find on Kasagrad - the location of the Lost Tomb of Rablev?
to be added
- Bernice Summerfield
- Irving Braxiatel
- Kolonel Daglan Straklant
- Adrian Wall
- Clarissa Jones
- Mr Crofton
- Broderick Naismith
- Dale Pettit
- Munroe Hennessey
- Fedora Bronsan
- Milo Yendipp
- Luci Yendipp
- Bryn Lavers
- Georgia Salis
- Marshal Raul Kendrick
- Ilsa Deveraus
- Herv Gresham
- Braxiatel owns champagne glasses moulded on Marie Antoinette's breasts.
- Braxiatel has a replica of The Supremacy of Venus on the ceiling of his office.
Foods and beverages
- Vendolusian plankton is poisonous until partially digested by the Vendolusian pond squwelch, after which it is served as a delicacy.
- Benny's birthday is 21 June.
- Adrian Wall is a Killoran.
- Wolsey has his paw broken by Daglan Straklant and then fixed by Ms Jones with genetic binding ointment.
- Irving Braxiatel gives Benny a replacement Joseph.
- This story was released as an audiobook read by Lisa Bowerman.
- This is the first full length novel published by Big Finish as part of the Bernice Summerfield series.
- At the start of the novel is a Welcome to the Braxiatel Collection PR document. It sets out various things about the collection and as it states, is a "working document" and comes complete with deliberate spelling mistakes/grammar mistakes.
- The novel cover was done by Carolyn Edwards. The likeness of Bernice was based on Lisa Bowerman and the image on the back cover of Jason Kane was based on Stephen Fewell.
- Benny stands in awe in Braxiatel's Garden of Whispers, not for the first time, as this is where she first met Braxiatel. (PROSE: Theatre of War)
- The Braxiatel Collection was first mentioned in TV: City of Death.
- Who the Fifth Axis really are and who are behind them is revealed in AUDIO: Death and the Daleks.
- Official Professor Bernice Summerfield and the Doomsday Manuscript page at bigfinish.com
- Official The Doomsday Manuscript audiobook page at bigfinish.com
- The Discontinuity Guide to: The Doomsday Manuscript at The Whoniverse