The 16th Century. Playwright Kit Marlowe is attempting to write Doctor Faustus when a darkness descends on his life, in the cadaverous form of a Spaniard called Velez. The monstrosity is in search of a stone blade that was brought from South America...
These two events are connected. The Omnim are ready. And the point of entry approaches...
to be added
to be added
- The Doctor – Colin Baker
- Peri – Nicola Bryant
- Kit Marlowe - Matt Addis
- Velez - Luis Soto
- Iguano / Captain Garland - Sean Connolly
- Tom - Tam Williams
- Alys - Gemma Wardle
- Sir Francis Walsingham - Ian Brooker
to be added
- This audio drama was recorded on 4 and 5 November 2009 at The Moat Studios.
- As well as released as a CD and download, this story is also available to stream on Spotify.
- The First Doctor and his companion Steven Taylor previously met Marlowe in Venice in 1609. This encounter will not take place for another nineteen years in Marlowe's personal timeline. (PROSE: The Empire of Glass)
- Peri previously visited 16th century England in the company of the Fifth Doctor (AUDIO: The Kingmaker) and would later do so again in the company of the Sixth Doctor (AUDIO: Recorded Time)
- The Doctor and Peri refer to their recent trip to 19th century England. (TV: The Mark of the Rani)
- The Doctor tells Marlowe that he has met demons in his time. Though he does not go into detail, he is presumably referring to his encounters with Azal in TV: The Dæmons and the Mara in TV: Kinda, TV: Snakedance and AUDIO: The Cradle of the Snake. He would subsequently encounter two other self-described demons, namely the Destroyer in TV: Battlefield and the Beast in TV: The Satan Pit.
- While exploring London in 1590, the Doctor points out St Paul's Cathedral to Peri, who correctly states that it is the Old St. Paul's, which would be burnt down in the Great Fire of London on 2 September 1666. The Doctor remarks, "Well, let's not go into that" and changes the subject. His fifth incarnation played a major role in starting that fire. (TV: The Visitation)
- Both the First and the Third Doctors referred to being imprisoned in the Tower of London (TV: The Sensorites, TV: The Mind of Evil) whereas the Fifth Doctor and Nyssa suffered the same fate in the late 17th century after having charges of forgery levelled against them by Sir Isaac Newton (AUDIO: Summer) Furthermore, the Sixth Doctor would later be imprisoned in the Tower once again in 1554 in the company of Evelyn Smythe as Queen Mary I was under the erroneous impression that they were plotting to assassinate her and place her Protestant half-sister Elizabeth on the throne. (AUDIO: The Marian Conspiracy) Later still, he and Evelyn would return to the Tower in an alternative 2003 (AUDIO: Jubilee) and 2010 (AUDIO: The Crimes of Thomas Brewster)
- The Doctor claims that the Elizabethan era is the earliest point in Earth's history that Peri has visited during their travels in the TARDIS. However, prior to the Doctor's most recent regeneration, she visited Egypt in circa 1400 BC where they met her future travelling companion Erimem (AUDIO: The Eye of the Scorpion), Nicaea in the Roman Empire in June 325 (AUDIO: The Council of Nicaea), the Principality of Ungro-Wallachia in the Ottoman Empire in June and July 1462 (AUDIO: Son of the Dragon) and resided with Erimem in London from 1483 to 1485 after being separated from the Doctor (AUDIO: The Kingmaker)