Phantoms of the Deep was the fifth story in the second series of The Fourth Doctor Adventures, produced by Big Finish Productions. It was written by Jonathan Morris and featured Tom Baker as the Fourth Doctor, Mary Tamm as Romana I and John Leeson as K9 Mark II.
On their mission to explore the Mariana Trench at the very bottom of the ocean, the deepest and most inhospitable place on Earth, the crew of the deep sea vehicle Erebus make an unusual and startling discovery.
Super-intelligent squid, long-lost submarines and their miraculous occupants are only the start of their troubles. The Goblins are coming. And they won't let anyone out alive.
to be added
- The Doctor - Tom Baker
- Romana I - Mary Tamm
- K9 Mark II - John Leeson
- Dr Patricia Sawyer - Alice Krige
- Chris Fleming - John Albasiny
- Terri McCulloch - Charlie Norfolk
- Jack Hodges - Gwilym Lee
- The Doctor once materialised the TARDIS in the heart of a star.
- The Doctor claims to have saved Julius Caesar from drowning in the River Tiber.
- The DSV Erebus is made from the same material as the Great Space Elevator.
- This audio story was recorded on 2 November 2011 at Audio Sorcery.
- This story was originally released on CD and download.
- Though writer Jonathan Morris commented on the behind the scenes featurette that he was surprised that Doctor Who had never before done a story set on a submarine in its history, Cold War, set on a Russian submarine, was broadcast in April 2013, beating this story to release by a month.
- The Doctor repairs K9, who sustained heavy damage due to the time slippage caused by the passage of the Laan through the Time Vortex over a month earlier. (AUDIO: The Sands of Life)
- The Doctor reminds Romana that he built the second K9. (TV: The Ribos Operation)
- Romana refers to the Doctor activating the TARDIS' randomiser in order to throw the Black Guardian off their trail. (TV: The Armageddon Factor)
- Romana laments that the TARDIS has once again materialised on Earth. (AUDIO: The Auntie Matter, The Justice of Jalxar)
- The Doctor mentions that he programmed the TARDIS to materialise on 1,000 planets other than Earth in order to mislead the Black Guardian. (AUDIO: The Auntie Matter)
- The submarine is made of the same material as the Great Space Elevator. (AUDIO: The Great Space Elevator)