A visit to an international chess tournament isn't quite the relaxing experience the Counter-Measures team might have hoped for. With a defection to arrange and violence erupting on the streets it's time for a dangerous gambit. What pieces will be left on the table when the Endgame approaches?
to be added
- Group Captain Ian Gilmore - Simon Williams
- Rachel Jensen - Pamela Salem
- Allison Williams - Karen Gledhill
- Sir Toby Kinsella - Hugh Ross
- Shurik Barkov/British Ambassador/Russian Guard - Bo Poraj
- Anya Barkov/Dutch Airport Tannoy Announcer - Emily Tucker
- Marcus Fremington/The Dutchman/The Steward/The Angry Man - John Banks
- St John/The Policeman - Robert Lonsdale
- Terrance Fleischer - Blake Ritson
- Gilmore is an avid fan of cricket.
- Shurik Barkov was born in 1943.
- Marcus Fremington refers to the fictional spy Dick Barton.
- The story concludes with Sir Toby and Rachel listening to what appear to be live radio reports on rioting in the Harlem and Bed-Stuy neighborhoods of New York City. Though the story takes place in 1965, the reference appears to be to the real-life Harlem Riot of 1964. A montage of media coverage from other riots also includes a reference to the real-life 1967 12th Street Riot in Detroit.
- Rachel refers to having recently undergone extensive radiation treatment. (AUDIO: The Fifth Citadel)
- Allison refers to Rachel becoming the leader of the Intrusion Countermeasures Group in 1964. (AUDIO: Threshold)
- Sir Toby mentions The Forge (as "Department C4") as someone who wants their hands on Barkov. (AUDIO: Project: Twilight)
- Sir Toby refers to Gilmore leading his entire unit to their death in the Battle of Arnhem during World War II. (AUDIO: Threshold)
- Allison refers to the fact that she was forced to kill her fiancé Julian St Stephen. (AUDIO: State of Emergency) She breaks down at the end of the play at having to shoot someone again.