- You may be looking for the peg dolls from The Dead Shoes.
Powers and abilities
The peg dolls turned their victims into other peg dolls by grabbing and holding them still. The transformation lasted only a few seconds yet was still seemingly painful, as the victim would scream and convulse when being mutated. It began with the hands, which turned stiff and into wood as they grew bigger, the rest of the victim's body followed shortly afterward. Most notably, their heads would expand into the shape of the other dolls. Any clothing the person was wearing was drastically altered into that of a doll's; extras were sometimes added, such as a hat in Amy's and seemingly Rossiter's case. None of the person's original personality remained; the Eleventh Doctor referred to it as being in a "living death", as if they were nothing but a shell and acted as part of the horde. The process could be reversed if the Tenza who brought them into existence dispelled them, and the victims had full memory of the ordeal afterward. The dolls were also capable of communicating, and were heard singing a haunting rhymes. (TV: Night Terrors)
The peg dolls inhabited the doll's house in George's cupboard. When said house became a psychic repository for all George's fears, the dolls became manifest, and hunted any individuals who found themselves in the house and turned them into Dolls.
When Rory and Amy were trapped in the house, they stumbled across the dolls and believed they were completely harmless. Eventually, however, they realised how wrong they were when they witnessed Purcell being turned into one of them, and tried evading them as much as possible. However, the dolls soon cornered them and, in an attempt to escape, Amy was converted into one of them, with Rory having to fend for himself with only a mop.
The dolls also hunted the Doctor and Alex when they appeared in the doll house, and proceeded to attack and surround them and Rory, who had caught up with them. The dolls momentarily stopped when George himself appeared in the same room and then turned their attention towards him, surrounding him. However, Alex pushed them aside to comfort his son and assure him that he would never abandon him, which brought the Dolls to an immediate halt. When Alex's unconditional love for his son allowed George to overcome his fears, the peg dolls were expelled from the house and their victims reverted to their original forms. (TV: Night Terrors)
Besides being an empty shell devoid of any notable traits, the dolls were very childlike in behaviour and tone. They giggled constantly and acted like they were playing a game with their victims, not liking it when people ran away. (TV: Night Terrors)
Behind the scenes
The peg dolls sang a haunting nursery rhyme throughout Night Terrors, but it made a return in the series six finale. Their song went as follows:
- "Tick tock goes the clock / And what then shall we see? / Tick tock until the day/ That thou shalt marry me.
- Tick tock goes the clock / And all the years they fly / Tick tock and all too soon / You and I must die.
- Tick tock goes the clock / We laughed at fate and mourned her / Tick tock goes the clock / Even for the Doctor
- Tick tock goes the clock / He cradled and he rocked her / Tick tock goes the clock / Even for the Doctor.
- Doctor, brave and good, / He turned away from violence / When he understood / The falling of the Silence.
- Tick tock goes the clock / He cradled and he rocked her / Tick tock goes the clock / 'Til River kills the Doctor.
- Tick tock goes the clock / He gave all he could give her / Tick tock goes the clock / Now prison waits for River.