Orbis was the first story in the third series of the Eighth Doctor Adventures, produced by Big Finish Productions. It was written by Alan Barnes and Nicholas Briggs and featured Paul McGann as the Eighth Doctor and Sheridan Smith as Lucie Miller.
It resolved the cliffhanger at the end of the previous audio and jumped forward in the Doctor's lifetime by approximately 600 years.
Publisher's summary Edit
The Doctor has fallen to his death. His companion, Lucie Miller, has returned to her life on Earth, grief-stricken. Then, one night, an alien visitor arrives at her front door and shoots her.
Could it be that Lucie's days with the Doctor are not over? She will only find the answer on the planet Orbis. A planet where all forms of life are facing violent extinction.
to be added
- The Doctor - Paul McGann
- Lucie Miller - Sheridan Smith
- Crassostrea - Andrew Sachs
- Selta - Laura Solon
- Headhunter - Katarina Olsson
- Saccostrea - Beth Chalmers
- Yanos - Barry McCarthy
- Lucie mentions the Daleks, Red Rocket Rising, Aunty Pat and the Only Ones (whom she calls the Glam Rock Monsters).
- Lucie has a phobia of jellyfish.
- Lucie says that there is an entire library dedicated to the TARDIS manual.
The Doctor Edit
- The Doctor lives on Orbis for six hundred years.
- The Doctor is known by the Keltans as "Old Doctor".
- The Doctor refers to the Daleks, the Cybermen, the Autons and the Axons.
- This CD features a brand new Extras theme scored and edited by Jamie Robertson.
- This audio drama was recorded on 2 October 2008 at The Moat Studios.
- The story was initially released as a download on the Big Finish website on 7 and 14 March 2009. It was later broadcast on BBC Radio 7 on 16 and 23 May 2010.
- The Headhunter last appeared in AUDIO: The Vengeance of Morbius.
- Lucie mentions the Dalek invasion of Red Rocket Rising (AUDIO: Blood of the Daleks) and Nadir Motorway Service Station on M62. (AUDIO: Horror of Glam Rock).
- The Doctor spends 600 years on Orbis. The Eleventh Doctor would later spend multiple centuries on one planet, staying on Trenzalore for 900 years. (TV:The Time of the Doctor) This makes the Eighth Doctor one of his oldest incarnations. (See: The Doctor's age)
- Official Orbis page at bigfinish.com
- DisContinuity for Orbis at Tetrapyriarbus - The DisContinuity Guide