The Loop (TV)
Do you like this video?
It attempted to categorise cliffhangers in various ways, and came up with examples of several main types of cliffhanger, including:
- Those which reveal a monster - The Ark in Space parts 1-3, Terror of the Zygons part 1, Terror of the Vervoids part 1, Aliens of London.
- Those which suggest the Doctor is about to die - The Caves of Androzani parts 1 and 3, The Deadly Assassin part 3, The Ultimate Foe part 2.
- Those points at which the narrative completely changes track - "An Unearthly Child", The Mind Robber part 1, The Face of Evil part 3, The Curse of Fenric part 3, Bad Wolf.
- Those cliffhangers which "cheat" by introducing new footage into the cliffhanger reprise which suddenly gives a way out of the cliffhanger not visible in the previous episode - The Mark of the Rani part 1, Image of the Fendahl part 1, Genesis of the Daleks part 2, The Stolen Earth.
- Flatly rubbish cliffhangers - Dragonfire part 1, Death to the Daleks episode 3, virtually every cliffhanger during The Trial of a Time Lord — though especially Terror of the Vervoids parts 3 and 4, Snakedance part 3.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.
... more about "Now, Get Out of That: Doctor Who Cliffhangers (documentary)"